Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Albie, stripers and blues - oh my!

4 posts in this topic

I had to take a kayak out to Surfpirate and since I was going to be 2/3rds the way to Montauk I kept going. Joey was there ahead of me and managed a 37" fish before I got there. Doug joined us early evening. There were a few flurries and at sunset some medium blue action. We took the tube and worms and did a night assalt of the Light area. We got blues and bass. I need a bigger rod. I had one fish that I couldn't do anthing with except watch the line melt away. I got rocked.

Next moring nothing at the light so we went looking on the south side and the first place we went to we spotted albies a few hundred yards out. We launched and found them. We got them on both spin and fly gear. It was great. I got a bass also. I sent my camera in so I don't have any pics. Joey rarely remembers his and Doug took a shot of his first fly caught albie. He's still out there so we'll see it another day. Coming back in the surf picked up and I got a great set and made it just short of the beach before dumping. Joey's landing was a mess. I couldn't believe how much sand ended up in his yak. Great delivery.

the oh my for for mrsinbad

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Surf landings can be lots of fun. I had a bearing that I didn't even know existed in my 525 freeze up on me a week after I rolled around in the surf. That was the first day. Didn't roll after that. I disassembled (partially) washed, cleaned, oiled, then fished with it for a week. Didn't get the freeze until I got home.

You can get really good at landing without much practice, but it's not a natural instinct, it does take practice.