Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swfly

Kayak vs. Canoe

35 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Being without my own craft for some time I'm determide to get either a canoe or a yak by next spring, maybe sooner wink.gif

Problem is I can't make my mind up as to which I would be happier with. More than likely it will be a sit in of either.

I will be using it mainly for fishin an some crusin around. Probably mainly bay till I get curagious to try the suds. Like to keep the lenght to 12 ft.

Need some help with opinions of one verus the other by some users of each. Why do you like the one over the other.???

Thanks for the info.

Walt

ps.

Jim DE, how much of a chore is it to paddle that catamaran you have?? biggrin.gif

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Go for the kayak.They are much more stable( read safer)in high wind and waves.You can ride out weather in a yak no canoe could handle.Look up the story about the storm the gang that just got back from Baja Mexico were in,and they all got back to the beach o'k.Pangas (22' fishing boats)flipped over in the same storm,and they are no slouch at handling bad weather.Go to www.****.com,then the west coast board,then down to Spike's story of the trip to Rancho Leonardo.Check out the pictures in the same stream of messages.Scott

Walt, I guess for me "ignorance is bliss!" Having not owned any other kayak before the Stealth I really have no base for comparison.

I paddle the craft just fine and considering I am a grandfather thats saying a lot I guess. I don't think I would like to paddle a solom course with it or do a ocean touring journey either but for a strickly fishing craft it has done all I have asked.

Now, fire up the 46lbs of thrust, light up the sidefinder/locator, steer with the paddle, plot with the mapping GPS, and its off to previously unreachable water with little or no effort and total confidence.

K.I.S.S. with a bit of technology added!!!

I am on vacation the week of Labor Day and plan on taking my Yak north to Belmar at least once wink.gif I will be more than glad to let you or any who would like to try this craft out. This is the best way to compare.

Tightlines~~~~~~~~

Scott

Nice site. Impressive article, I notice that they all use SOT's. Something to consider.

Jim,

I thank you for the offer. If it's possible I may take you up on that offer. It's deffinitly am impressive craft.....

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

JonS

Not to bad a job. Got it down to 2 (i think, like that catamaran Jim De Has smile.gif ) either the loon or the explorer.

On the sot, what really is a good idea to have in straps etc?? Don't need any bells and whistles but don't want to be sorry later i didn't get somethin...

Thanks

walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Walt

The bells and whistles are the things you add on and that you'll figure out as you fish it. I added one item a factory boat has as an option and that's a front bungee setup. I place the front paddle blade there while fishing or whenever I need my hands free. It works very well. I've added rod holders, and inside cargo carrying system and the ability to control an anchor or drift sock. I'm now going to put in more rod holders and rubber paddle holders to hold my gaff, anchor, etc. I'm preparing the yak to be surf ready. Should I get tossed I want everything to be there when I hop back on the yak. If you want to see mine and the way I've set it up I'm sure that we could hook up somewhere where there are fishies to catch.

If you get an Explorer you can bungee a milk crate with rod holders, etc. attached to the crate. This is what I've done initially and I still use it. When all the stuff I want to do is done (next week) I'll lose the crate and probably bungee a mesh bag back there. The crate attaches very nicely behind me in the tank well. Gives you a chance to do some fishing before you drill holes.

The Cat, I feel, is a strictly an open water ocean/salt water craft appears nice and I want to check them out with a small outboard for Baja, but I do too much freshwater and the places I go I need both something light and very maneuverable and my Explorer does everything I require of it. Yesterday I was catching blues in Rartian and today I'll be catching Largemouths and looking for northerns in the confluence of 2 rivers. I'll be using a small river approx. 20' wide to access where it joins a similar sized river.

As to straps I don't have any but plan on getting them. I'll want them for the surf. Its an item you would probaby be better getting aftermarker rather than from the factory anyway.

Swfly: Even though you already seem to have settled on a kayak I just wanted to add one more vote. Kayaks are (generally) very capable craft, able to handle a wide variety of conditions with aplomb, though there are exceptions. Canoes, while appropriate for some conditions, have no place in the salt except on the flatest of flat days (and then only very close to shore).

On a kayak you will be able to paddle further, faster, with less effort, through worse conditions and you will always come home happier. I regularly out-paddle two (yes TWO) friends in a canoe - on sheltered water - with ease, even though they are trying very hard. When a little chop kicks up, it goes from bad to worse for them.

Now get out there and paddle as many boats as you can get your hands on. My offer for a test paddle on my Dolphin still stands.

Porter

Hey, Jon:

Any chance you have a digital camera? I'd sure like to see some pix of your Explorer when you get it all tricked out, as I've got the same kayak and could no doubt benefit from your experience. BTW, what kind of rod holders are you using? I installed one of the Scotty types but I much prefer the RAM tube holders, though of course not the RAM prices.

Frick

Ok guys, one last question. I talk to one guy who sells the explorers and the loons. He Peasonnally like the old townes because of the hull compositon, a 3 layer that is more resilant than fiberglass etc. Now the others are made of polyethelene.

Being made of "plastic" do you find it getting ground up much on the bottom from the sand?????????????? That's my real only concern about the explorer.

That fish an dive model is sweet but getting a bit pricey.

Thanks

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Walt - I don't drag it in the sand much. I beach it and then put my wheels on it. I expect and do have scratches. I never worry about cosmetics, just if something functions.

Frick - I don't have a camera but my sister does so when I'm done I'll get some shots.

At the moment I've got 2 rod holders attached.

Where I would rest my left hand (I'm right handed) I've got a flush mount plastic. Its there to put the rod when I unhook a fish so both hands are free. I thought that it would interfere with my stroke but it doesn't so I'll probably put one on the other side also. Its just a plastic I ordered from Cabelas at $9.99 for 2 but I found them for $3.99 in a store for future needs. I removed the cleat that was there to mount the flush and moved the cleat just in front of the holder. Besides sealing the bottom of the through holder I've got a rubber stopper for when its not in use (ie. when I'm only taking out a fly rod) attached to a line attached to a cleat.

I've got a flush mount Scotty on the right side in front of the rear seat cleat. I'm going to add another flush mount because its very secure and when I don't need it I'll put it in the hatch.

I've got a bungee up front.

The last item I installed was a through hole for my flag mast. Its a rubber grommet with a plug. The plug is attached to line and tied to a cleat when not in use.

In the hull, which is accessed through the hatch I've got a rope which goes around the through hole pillars with it forming an X at the hatch. Here I've got a loop in the line and I can attach items through snap rings. Its where I keep my anchor pulley system which will be used for both the anchor line and sea anchor. I also clip on a mesh diving, drawstring gear bag and in it I put everything that I can. Flies are in plastic baggies and then in rubbermaid boxes, and the same for fly reel, extra spools, leader, etc, etc. Lures in boxes and then zip locks. I may get the waterproof boxes for the future. This leaves my hatch pot for things I need while fishing.

I've got 3 sets of the rubber rod cleats coming. I doubt if I'll use them all but one set will be used to secure a rod for launching and landing through surf. I'll attach one behind the seat to hold my gaff. The last one may get mounted between where my feet are against the front bulkhead to hold the anchor since it seems to be where I keep it. I may mount the anchor behind the seat though on one of these because this space will become empty with everything in the hatch.

I'm got a 4 piece 9 1/2 foot fly rod. I built a PVC tube for it with a screw top. I'm going to mount it up front somewhere. Most likely so it can be bungeed in between cleats so its out of the way. It may end up in the rear tank well though however if I get some wide plastic wheels I want to built a caddy that I can take with me so I don't have to take the caddy back to the truck and the caddy will occupy the tank well area.

Well that's what I've got and those are my plans. I may end up with either a Scotty flush or a through up front. Time will tell.

Jon, I am a glutton for punishment...I do day trips to Tim's neck of the woods. Infact if I can get everything done early enough I may be heading up that way later today.

Must be something about my quick trips north....this is the second time I have gotten a flat before leaving for up there. First thing this am I will be getting this fixed.....gggggrrrr!

Jon:

That sounds like one sweet setup, and I can't wait to see some pix. What kind of dolly are you going to use -- one of the wide strap-ons or one of the scupper-hole models? I bought a pair of quite-large, superlight wheels at a garage sale today and I do believe I'm going to make a scupper-hole job using the plans offered by Barrell at his site.

Cheers,

Frick