Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seagar

Tips for buying a kayak?

15 posts in this topic

With that budget, used sounds like the only choice.

Your best bet would be to find a shop in your area where you can test paddle some boats, and that should help you with your quest.

Doing a search for similar questions in this forum should help a bunch too. Look for this area above

My Profile | directory | search | faq | forum

then click on search and type in you quearry, you should find a bunch of topics. If you have any specific question please feel free to ask smile.gif .

BTW, welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif .

Buy a long yak biggrin.gif Couldnt help it Ed smile.gif I am kidding around Seagar.Like Ed said used is probaley the way to go.A WS Tarpon 100 is like $500 new and its the least expensive of the SOTs thats longer than 10 ft that have a good rep.

Also there are a bunch of shops in the RI- Cape area that have rental fleets .You should be able to pick up a used yak in that price range.Goose Hummock(on the Cape) has a big sale every spring on the used yaks.They have a big rental fleet of all kinds of yaks.So you could paddle a few for comparisions sake.Check OnTheWater magazine or their web site for those shops.Give them a call to see when they plan on having their sale.

You might be able to get into a used 10- 12 ft SOT for around $400 or be able to get a small sit inside 10-12 ft in that price range as most of these shops have the smaller rec sit ins in their fleet.Keep a eye out the buy\\sell forums also.But they go pretty quick on there.

Good Luck and Welcome to the site

JoeV

I bought a 15 ft WS Freedom for $300 last year, new but damaged and repaired. Not anyone's favorite fishing yak, I suppose, but there are deals out there and you can make about any of them work. Also do a search for kayak clubs and check for used deals on their BBs. There are a couple in RI and CT.

UV does it's damage eventually so if you can find an older boat that's always been stored indoors it's a plus.

I have a red swing for 400 bucks. I'm all the way over in New York, but there are probably folks closer with similar deals. The Swing is a perception yak, no only avaialble down under Ibelieve, it combines some of the best attributes of many yaks. Stabile, reasonable speed, good surfing action, a real all around funtional yak. As a great atarter, it took me four years to really find another yak I found as entertaining as the swing. And even then, when fishing certain situations, I will go back to my Swing. I have two, my son uses the second one. It's red, usual scrapes, tupperware hatches (one ofthe down sides, small hatches), no rudder. Several rAM ball mounts requiring only for you to add the tubes. I'll even toss in a RAM rod holder if anyone is interested. S

I'm selling and was only mentioning that there are deals around in your price range. S

Seagar, you may want to stop by Quaker Lane bait shop. They sell some kayaks for fishing.

They setup my dad with a nice Tarpon 120, which is a nice starter boat.

Another source is the kayak shop in Wickford. Many kayaks you can try out. They're right on the water. They're more of a touring shop tho.

I'll be going down to RI this spring to join dad for some kayak fishing if want company. I have a ScupperPro, Cobra Explorer, and Hobie Outback if you want to try them out.

You will like kayak fishing. The dock at Naragansett beach is also a great launch spot on a good day.

-Greg

ps: I just noticed your budget. That's not much money. Maybe just try some boats and keep your eyes out for a used one. I bought my first boat used from one of the kayak rental shops on the Cape.

That does make sense.

If you can get a proven boat like that for $400 you're doing good.

Figure in the cost of seat, paddle, and life jacket as well.

Good luck

ScottO and G-Man,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Scott, let me know when you'll be in the area. I know some great spots for spring fishing.

I'm going to look around for a used kayak. Might have to spend more $$$.

Selecting your first kayak is a topic that comes up again and again, so here's some advice, for what it's worth.

The most suitable kayak for you is not necessarily the most suitable one for me. Since I already have mine, may I suggest you find one most suited to you? There are any number of Kayak shops right on the water, who wouldn't mind you trying out what you are considering purchase of. "Peconic Paddler" in Riverhead, and "Empire Kayaks" in Island Park, are two that come to mind immediately, but they are both on Long Island (New York),

Even a kayak on the showroom floor can tell you if the seat is suitable for your butt. (hint: if it tries to get up with you, it's too narrow).

Take your time, don't be pressured into a purchase you may regret later in the season. When you choose, may your decision be an informed one. At the very least, you should be comfortable in your purchase!

You might look at dicks sporting goods. They are selling Pungo Classic 120 for 399 with 100 bucks on free acc.

Pete

ps does anone know if there is a difference between there Pungo and any others?

dont buy it if you havent demoed it.And be honest with yourself about what you realy will be doing on it. Many customers come to us with unrealistic dreams about what they are going to be doing. Do I sell them a kayak that will fullfill their dreams or one that is more practical torward what their use will be?

Barrell

bluefishercat

The Pungo Classic is the old model.WS does not sell that one in their line any more.They have the new Pungos.Hull design has changed and they use the lighter stronger plastic on them .

JoeV