Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Dog

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

5 posts in this topic

I've got the oppurtunity to swap for an OK scrambler and I'm looking for a little feedback. I know it's a SOT model but I'd like to hear from some one whose owned or used one.

Thanks

Jay

Had one, sold it. Very stable, a little slow and wet in the seat due to where the scupper holes are. Has to be well thought out for fishing, in other words use it a few times before drilling holes for rod holders etc. I would probably still have it if I could have put a rudder on her, but didn't have the time to make one myself so that got scrubbed. Overall it is a good yak that does a lot of things well, but nothing particularly great. If anything it is a great starter boat.

I agree with all of the above. I had a Scrambler XT (a bit longer and lower in the water than the regular Scrambler). If you want to surf as much as you fish, fish mainly in the summer, and don't race with any other kayakers with Sea Darts or Tarpons, then it's a good choice.

I know a lot of guys who have had them forever and still fish them. Its a good fishing craft. Its speed is similar to Cobra Explorers and Navigators. Its not as accessory friendly but its a good fishing yak. You will sit in water as it is an OK and that's how they're designed. If its a good deal go for it.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I've had a scrambler and a scrambler xt- sold the reg scrambler- I kept flipping it when I twisted around- The XT however I love.

It is lower cg, wider, more stable, and wetter- but I am considering getting a sit inside for the spring/fall fishing- I have never flipped the XT- even in the surf- I feel real comfortable in it and would never sell it.