Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boymeetssurf

One man in a two man operation

6 posts in this topic

Thought some of you guys would appreciate this. My buddy and I, we do some shark fishing occasionally off the beach down here in NC. Well he was late the last time we were gonna go, so I figured I would rig the 9/0 on the 10 ft magnaflex, bait it, and paddle it out by myself. With it in the rod holder, free spool with the clicker on, I paddled a king mackerel head out about 400 yards or so, made the drop, and casually headed towards shore. I thought I heard a humming noise, but could not identify it as the worn out clicker over the crash of the surf. About halfway back to the hill, I watch the line go whizzing underneath my kayak. I kicked my 2hp paddle into overdrive, and made it back to the beach just as my buddy emerged over the dunes. Hearing the 9/0 singing, he sprinted to the outfit and got near it before I could beach and get out of my kayak. There were three wraps left on the spool of 1500 yards worth. If he hadn't showed up when he did, I probably would have had to go swimming for that surf outfit....

It wasn't a terribly big shark, a bull shark, maybe 6-7 foot. Nevertheless, he still tried to eat me when I beached him. I just wanted to share the feeling I had when I figured out what was going on while I was 200 yards out from the hill... you know the feeling where you're like, "You've gotta be kidding me!"