Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Yak fishing on 9/11

7 posts in this topic

Took the yak for some local freshwater fishing in a nearby river. I was looking for some northern pike but only found lots of largemouths. Caught at least 20. They were extremely fat and the lightest colored bass I've ever seen. No real size to them with about a dozen of the biggest being app. 12". It was fun on ultralight spinning. Next time I'll take the fly rod.

It was a great workout as I launched in one river and took it down current to where it met up with a larger one. Paddled about a mile back against current the whole time. Water was very clear and I saw 50% of the takes. Next time I'll try farther down in the third river for the pike.

Now, JonS, quit ketchin' all the bass again!

I gotta get out--somewhere-anywhere, one of these days...Family obligations are thru after this coming Saturdays' wedding. And I've got LOTS of points in the ole cookie jar!

Tom,

I thought that you don't fish for green bass, only brown and striped ones. They were green bass and they're all right where I left them. There's a spot that Brian and I discovered and its like fishing in a fish bowl. They all stay in a small area especially now that the water is down approx. 3 feet from the last time I went there. I had to portage around a fallen tree and I must of caused some bugs to hit the water because a bunch of small bass hit the surface and I'm pretty sure they were smallies.

I wanted to go up to the Poconos and catch some big smallies but my buddy up there didn't get back to me until night. Later this week I'll be harassing OPFs (other people's fishes).

When you collect those points lets hit the Big D on a Saturday in the area you turned me onto.

True, I do prefer brown or striped basses. But will settle for green ones from time to time. They just seem so sluggish after catching smallies in a current. As you have discovered at that spot on the D. I want to put those crease flies you tied to the test on the D. As of yesterday, the river was eminently wadeable (low), crystal clear, and 74. This won't last--get out ASAP, I suggest...

Jon,

Did you hit the same spot as last time? How was the water clarity in the area? Did you check out the hole in the bend down below the "Fish Bowl" area? Could you see anything down there? If you want to hit the DE early Sunday morning I'm up for it. Give me a call. Going to Ensenada in two weeks.

Brian

TWF

Tidewater,

I hit the same spot and the water was down at least 3'. Water was very clear and I did hit the spot below. Didn't see anything substantial down there. I got 1 bass and a few sunnies in spots other than the spot.

Ensendada, have fun.