Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyT

Trick to getting back on ?

12 posts in this topic

Actually rented a tandem this weekend to help my kids learn how to sail.....

at least that is what I told the wife...

Really checking out a yak for fishing and teaching the kids how to sail...biggrin.gif

All was going fine behind LBI, until a combination of boat wake, wind and me twisting too quickly... Yep right in the drink over my head...

So how do you get back on ? It was a long swim with Yak in tow ( 1/4 mile )...

Is one method to sort of climb back up via the bow ?

I also think I was sitting in the wrong seat for one person ( rear seat ), which may have contributed to my demise ?

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT

Anthony,

I've only gone off when testing. I easily got back on as if it were a dock. I just pulled myself back on. What brand of tandem did you rent?

Jon,

Thanks for replying..... it was an Cobra... Each time I tried to get up, it was tilting over again... plus I was in over my head and also worried about my son sailing...

I'm a big guy so that probably contributed to the problem, I just wanted to make sure I was using the right technique...

Should I have been in the more forward seat ?

Thanks again,

Anthony

I had a bit of trouble the first time I test dumped. What I found was that if you try climbing you'll tip it.You have to kind of hop in.Speed counts. The quicker you can hop in the less chance of rolling.After I did it the first time it became easy. You gotta get your weight centered when you plop back on.That's the best I can offer. Aside from my mishap in the surf(lost rod and reel)I have yet to dump in the bay(I am knocking on wood) Good luck and hope I helped.

The first time I tried out a Navigator I was testing its dump limit and I found it. I did it very quickly like eelball said. One fast movement. It was a demo day in Lakehurst and one of the Cobra people saw me and when I got back to the beach they complimented me on getting back on.

In the tandem you're supposed to be in the rear, I believe. My buddy Derrick has one and he's 6'5" and 315#. I'll ask him to make sure. That's a big person.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 07-17-2001).]

Thanks for the tips.... a quick hop and then you in... okay got it smile.gif

I would appreciate if you can check with your friend regarding if he sits in the rear or forward seat when he is by himself...

Thanks and tightlines,

AnthonyT

I have a Cobra and it has a place to move the seat when only one person is in the boat. The seat is in the middle of the boat and the feet placements seem a bit short for a tall person. The boat works well from that position. I have the double to take my wife along.

In a Cobra tandem ALWAYS move the seat to the solo or middle seat position. Atandem will never paddle correctly with wheight in the front or back alone. As far as getting back in aproach the boat from the side. Grab the closest rail with one hand and the far rail with the other. Kick hard and do a belly flop across the boat. It is then a simple matter to twist your butt into the seat. Who was the dealer who set the boat up so you were paddling from the rear and did he suggest a fish and dive?

barrell

Tarpon1 & Barrell,

Thanks, I had a feeling that I was in the wrong seat...

Barrell, I just rented the kayak for a few hours to help my children sail and the rental place is run by kids, therefore no interest in getting it straight..

Question, was sitting in the back seat a contributing factor to going in the drink ? that is would sitting in the middle seat make the boat more stable ?

I was looking for a fish & dive, but none were available.... I would really like to rent one before I take the big step in purchasing and the endless rigging and improving.

Do guys fly fish from their kayak, including casting or possibly drifting/trolling ?

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT