Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XT

how to fish the favorites....

14 posts in this topic

Time for an off-season confession- I've had terrible luck fishing with artificial lures- except when the fish are breaking and going nuts anyway.

My question is- How do you experts out there fish those favorite lures? I know it may be hard to describe the technique on-line here, but what better thing to do in the winter. And you would really be helping me out of my feeling of angling inadequacy.

Thanks.

Hate to say both- although I think plugs are easier (?) just you just crank those?

I'm most interested in how to catch those fish that are on the bottom mocking me thru my depth sounder- are plastic/jig the thing to use for them?

When I fish a 7" Bomber I like to fish it real slow, just enough speed to keep the tension on the line.

I highly recommend a teaser fly in front as well. I have had great luck with all black and light blue.

I rig the following way:

Attache snap swivel to my running line (non rotating type), I prefer either 50lb whiplash or 30lb fireline braided as the feel it gives you is tremendous.

Then I make flurocarbon leader about 36-42" long with a barrel swivel on one end (This will attached to the snap on the running line, the opposite end I put another non rotating snap swivel that my lure will get attached to. In this set up the only thing that needs to rotate is the barrell swivel on one side of the leader.

Then I tye a fly teaser with about 10-12" inches of fluro carbon and a surgeons loop on the tag end. This gets placed over the snap on the running line.

What it should mimmick is a small bait fish about 30-36" in front of a larger fish (your lure).Stripers will come along and hammer the teaser. I have had nights when the only thing that caught fish was the teaser.I do not know if it is the competetion that draws the strike or the smaller size of the offering, but probably would guess that it is a combination of the two.

The other thing that I do is make up all my leaders and pretied teasers at home and touch up each knot with super glue as added insurance.

The only knot I have to tie in the field is possibly the snap on the running line but most often this only has to be done before each outing (again super glue this knot).

This is a quick easy settup for changing out multiple lures and softplastics during a trip and you can also premake wire leaders and teasers the same way should blues be around.

I use 40-60# fluro leader material as the CT shore is very rocky and it takes alot of abuse and handles Blues fairly well if I dont have any wire pretied.

Ken

Fish suspended off the bottom can be reach by jigging. Bucktail jig with plastic or meat, plastics like the Wildeyes/SassyShad/etc to the diamon jig. If you can see the fish off the bottom the must plugs can't get down deep enough without wireline or weights or diving boards. I like a the white bucktail jig with plastic worm on the end or a piece of squid/sandworm. Drop the jig down and dirft over the fish hopping the jig off the bottom. A diamond jig fished vertically is also a killer just let it flutter down and as soon as it touches the bottom a quick snap up with the rod and then flutter back down. These methods should be modified to produce different actions and suggest wounded or fleeing baitfish. Hope this helps.

and let the swimmer you were trolling stay there when you start fishing.

I know it sounds stupid, but I was almost capsized when a 20 pounder slammed a chicken scratch bomber I had not yet reeled in after reaching the spot i wanted to fish (I was getting my fly stuff ready!!)

I agree with surfpirate as well. I have had several bass hit a plug just floating there. This occurs a lot in the back bays when bass and trout are feeding on grass shrimp. Sometimes its the only way they wil hit a plug.

I think I've actually met some of you at the very windy Susq. flats event last spring-

I have the lime green XT with the home made PVC rod holders.

I live in Vienna, VA. and I don't fish around here much with the kayak, but I've fished the bay alot from Cheasapeake beach to the Gas docks- Usually it's too windy for yak fishing- I've fished in the potomac too- mostly catfish. I would like to try around Annapolis or Kent Island- There is more protected water there.

Never caught a striper from my yak- but I did catch a 19" flounder at Oregon inlet this past summer- (a live finger mullet)

I'll drive anywhere for a good fishing trip-

It sounds like NJ and CT have great fishing.

XT - you met me as I was there. I had the NV plates and a bunch of yaks. I'll be at the Susky Flats again this spring as soon as it turns on and I can't wait to tube 'n worm those fish. It should be VERY productive.

------------------

JonS@****stuff.com

Jon- any brands/ colors/ sizes of tubes you recommend? Friend is new to stripers and keeps a boat in RI. Tube & worm is what I would tell him, but don't know specifics. AS for technique, slightly faster than drift and near the bottom is what I understand to be the method. Gonna tell him to get a lead core rig.

Thanks