Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codcheeks1

please help! (paint trouble)

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

SO

ive been building lures for say 4 to 5 years now. ive got my shapes down and building down and i HAD painting down. well i graduated from rattle cans to an airbrush. i love oil based and enamels etc. and ive never really worked in acrylics before. ive done all the research on airbrushes and paints etc. but still no real luck. i would go back to spray paint but i love the idea of a larger color pallet and finer deatails. heres the question:

so everytime i use the airbrush i get drips (which are impossible to get rid of because they dont sand) do you guys all have dying boxes or spinners? the drips are bumming me out so much i almost want to give u on the airbrush but im going to persevere! so what am i doing wrong? and do i need a spinner? or should i be hair drying them or something?

also im not dong overly heavy coats so imnot sure whats going on here

thanks for any help guys!

-jack

First two things I can think of are too thin for the paint, OR too thin paint sprayed too heavy. For really thin paint, get your shade in multiple coats rather than one coat. I also hit each new coat with a heat gun held twelve inches or more away and moved constantly. I learned this the hard way when I torched a paint job or ten.

Any pictures?

The first thing that comes to my mind is pearl colors, they are somewhat more finicky to spray than the opaque and translucents, the added pearl pigments make them thick and goopy. Are the drops spitting from the gun while painting, or after you let go of the trigger....that one really frosts me when it happens, get the paint looking just the way you want it, and when you let off the trigger it spits an extra glob or 2 on your previously perfect plug.

Yes, you need a hair dryer. Light coat hit it with the dryer, you'll be able to see it dry, continue to build with light coats and dry each time. By drying you also make the paint stronger.

Don't spray your paint with an air brush, Mist your paint with an airbrush. The flow should be a fine mist and try not to add "More" paint. You would be surprised how little paint is needed.

I've been using Createx pearl colors for several years now and what was said above is spot on.....light coats and hit each coat with a heat gun or hair dryer.

I use an old hair dryer my old lady was kind enough to donate to the cause.

Another thing to consider, besides light coats and hairblowers...all perfect advice.

How much pressure are you shooting at and how close is your airbrush to the plug. I spray about 8 - 10 inches from my plug and somewhere between 20 - 50psi (depending on what i'm doing).

I finally did it! Thanks for the info guys! I think it was too much paint per coat and I think the paint being too thin was an issue too. The hair dryer was a help. The new paint came out the balls! If it weren't for SOL my lures would still be $hi+ pieces of kindling wood. Thanks everyone