Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

The invisible Yak!I

7 posts in this topic

I launched my new yak in a large nearby pond sunday and as I was enjoying the new sensations I noticed a thin yellow sliver off in the distance ahead of me. For several minutes I could not imagine what it was. Finally I was able to make out two black paddle blades slowly going up and down in the distance/ I could not figure out what he was doing, I assumed paddling, but paddling what? About 200 yards away he swung to the right and lo and behold it was a great big yellow kayak! He was wearing dark clothing, using black paddles and from head on the yak was almost invisible! No wonder boaters can't see us! Head on we are almost invisible! What do you do when you see a powerboat headed your way? You turn in their direction...and become almost invisible.

The only thing that caught my attention was the rise and fall of his paddle blades, even tho they were black!

I am going to get an inexpensive paddle and paint the thing florecent orange, it will be like waving flags to an on coming boat. My pfd is bright yellow with reflectors on it and I will try and find a florescent yellow hat. I will also give oncomming boats a look at me broadside...I hate being invisible out there! Cliff Blair

Turning side-on is a good tactic, especially 'cause it allows you to get out of their line of travel fastest. cwm31.gif

High-vis paddle blades are another plus. Mine are red (couln't find yellow) and are, according to reports by others, quite visible at a distance.

Chris

Reflective tape on paddle blades is a good way to go. Also bright clothing. I wear a very ugly bright orange baseball cap. You can also put an orange flag on a flexible pole and set it up to go into one of the rod holders of a fishing seat. mrsinbad and I were talking about a bright balloon on a line.

Now there are situations where you don't want to be seen and invisibility is the way to go. I won't elaborate.............

Along the same lines...

I stayed out a little too late, it was dark, 8PM, and was coming into Cold Spring Harbor and couldn't make out what looked like a moving light on little toy boat against the shore. It was another guy on a yak. Looked just like me. Wake up call. cwm31.gif

I fish around Atlantic City and you can guess how scary that can be especially on a weekend. Power Flex makes a good paddle for about $85 and they come in all floresent colors,yellow,green,pink. Barrel has tons in stock.I can't get enough visability there is a least one fatality near my stomping grounds every year.

I bekeive the waving of a padle overhead is an international distress signal. Be sure to check with Chapmans for the details. I'd go for bright colors and lot's of reflections. S