Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

New Hunt Johnsen SOT design-Pic

7 posts in this topic

pocketrocketjudy.jpg

The above image is of Hunt Johnsen's partner Judy in their new kayak called the "Pocket Rocket".

This new design is 8'11" and all hand layed fiberglass and VE resin. Hunt (6'1") is currently surfing it (today if the 10 footers lay down).

procketsurf1.jpg

This Wave Witch variant has a "Spoonbill" bow rather than the cutter bow seen on his other boats. He says this boat is very tame in the soup and he is finding it a fun ride. He reports that it doesn't want to broach in the slop at the bottom of the wave. It doesn't turn sideways, or roll-instead, Hunt just gets floated off its deck.

Now if there are any skinny bodied skinny water anglers (count me out!)-this could be the hot ticket to instant water access. My Wave Witch is 12'6" and weighs 23# empty, so this one should just about hover. You could literally tuck it under one arm, grab a rod, then the tackle bag in the other hand, net in your teeth and beat it up the trail to that deep pool in the creek. No kayak cart required.Ever.Never.

Anyway, I am a real fan of Hunt's approach to design, his workmanship ethics, his and Judy's paint awesome jobs and the Hawaiian vibe that eminates from these nifty lil' water craft.

Long live the Wave Witches icon14.gif

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 04-26-2002).]

Oh, those HJD craft are nifty all right but the problem is getting one to the east coast. The craft itself costs something like $1250 and is worth every penny, I bet. But then having to shell out another $200 to $300 to get the thing here -- well, that puts it out of sight.

Man, I wish I lived in HI!

Even the shipping costs are not that bad....but the uncertainty of it's condition when it arrives would be my concern. I would hate to have to call back and forth and go through the hassles of shipping the kayak back and forth till the problems were resolved.

Now if Sharp or some others here wanted to become a stateside HJ dealer.....I would seriously consider getting one wink.gif

JimDE,

Not I! I am just not cut out to be a merchant. I love innovation and R&D. The twian shall not meet. Someone needs to bring a shipping container of HJD Yaks over to the mainland smile.gif

Mokai seems to have a thoughtful shipping container, they invented it themselves for the expressed purpose of proper yak shipment.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Skinny here too! As my first yak (last year), I chose the ok Frenzy (8' approx 40lb). I can get it up onto the car easily. I can prop it on my shoulder and walk it a fair distance to put in. Its also fun in the waves on those fun beach days. Now im ready for a boat with some deck space ex the cobra explorer!

[This message has been edited by yakman (edited 04-28-2002).]