Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zero limit

Black backing? Know of any?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have two reels that I'd like to put black fly backing on and I can't find anything but the normal white and of course very bright yellow/lime, orange colors. Thanks, Eric

About two years ago I bought red and blue spools of Asian spectra and both did release color. I can not say 100% it was that brand. First when reel became wet I saw color in my hands and when I changed the fly line about half of the running line was stained and color made line also sticky. Washing with soap line felt fine again but color stays. Also backing was much thicker than same breaking strength "brand" GSP:s which are sold for casting reels. Then the pink spectra backing which I bought three years ago still feels fine although it also releases some color but does not feel sticky.

Esa

I had been using a Japanese made black spectra line called Maxilon, they come in 30lb, 50lb and 80lb and they had worked very well for me from Tarpon to Sailfish,  They do tend to turn slightly grey after a season or 2 but the durability is not affected.

Local Wally Mart here usually has spools of black or dark grey Dacron with a little lighter colored grey stitching in it.I have no idea who they sell it to...maybe someone rigging eels!

Try the teflon coated Tip Up line marketed for ice fishing . . . no stretch, doesn't hold water, won't cut your fingers . . . what's not to like ?

or try the MasonTackle (.com) factory store, do a search using 'black' and 'braided' . . .  

"BIG MUSKIE" Braided Dacron Polyester - Green Dot or Black

"GREAT WATER" Black Braided Dacron Polyester - Trolling and Surfing Line - Black

"iCE-FREE" TIP-UP LINE Black Vinyl Coated Braided Dacron - Waterproof - Black

"LEGEND" Bait Casting Line Braided Nylon - Black

"TIGER BRAID" Braided Polyethelene - Black/White

Tip-Up Ice Fishing Braided Nylon - Teflon Coated - Dark Green or Black

. . . each offered in multiple lengths