Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Well Don't This New Kayak Knock Your Hat in The Creek!

27 posts in this topic

Every once in awhile I see something new that has escaped my feelers and knocks me out. It was that way with the Wave Witch Horizon.

Well now I find the "PaddleYak". This is a glass hybrid hop-on/Sit-in kayak. Wow!! Help me analize the concept if you will please:

cockpit.jpg

PaddleYak is pleased and excited to present its long-awaited new craft: the Swift Hybrid. This is a professionally developed craft and a trendsetter because it features both sit-on-top as well as traditional sit-in features. The Swift has a sit-on seat with effective self-draining scuppers, but the seat also has a protective coaming, which takes an optional and sturdy neoprene sprayskirt.

quarter.jpg

This makes it an ideal craft for both sit-on as well as sit-in conditions. The combination of qualities means that the craft has low freeboard and a low-slung stern, making for easy-as-pie, re-entry, a definite safety advantage over more traditional styles.

top.jpg

The craft features a fine bow for fast touring, yet is also very stable as a result of its design. It comes standard with two medium-sized hatches, adjustable footrests and a robust new aft mounted,flip-up rudder from PaddleYak.

It also offers cockpit indents for water-bottles as well as an additional inspection hatch. The sprayskirt is an optional extra. The craft is also available in Carbon-fibre and Kevlar at an additional cost. The craft is remarkably light and can be used as a racer,day-tripper or overnight tourer. It is medium-sized [same length as a K1] and is suitable for most sea conditions as well as for lakes and open rivers. Compare this craft with the PY Swift Sit-in Adventure Kayak as well as with the PY Fusion Sit-on/sit-in.

US$ Price: $ 604.65 excl shipping

Technical specs:Length-17feet, Width- 59 CM, Weight= 51#, Capacity-330#

pyside.jpg

What to you fellow and gals think? I'm thinking this could be a good one. Who is brave and has the cash?

Sharp1

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 06-27-2002).]

Even faster, is their FUSION model. Wow!!

fast1.jpg

PaddleYak's remarkable innovation; the semi sit-on/sit-in sea kayak. Similar to the sit-in Explorer, but featuring a sit-on seat, self-draining scuppers, a sprayskirt coaming and reduced volume.

fast1b.jpg

It is ideal for distance touring, expeditions and adverse conditions. Conceptually this kayak contains elements which may represent a quantum leap in sea kayak designs.

fast1a.jpg

What do you fellows think?

S1

Looks like a good idea at the outset. I have a sit inside and know the disadvantages well by now. If it's rough out, the skirt better be on or your gonna be hauling water, but this design has scuppers... I'd also be looking at bulkheads or secondary flotation if it fills up. Another possible downside is the size of the skirt for the opening holding up after catching a wave - because implosions are bad. The price seems attractive. The one real advantage to a sit inside that I love is the ability to lock your knees against the top for balance. I don't see that here. The stability (first and secondary) people refer to is less of an issue once the knee thing is working. That's something sit on tops don't have and why people tip over but SOT's are initially stable. It's a trade off in the styles for the different designs and it'd be interesting to see how this design behaved in rougher water and where the center of gravity is located as compared to the SIK and SOT.

Now that I'm confused I hope it helped.

Dan

Hey, that was my idea for building an SOT on the same forms as my stripper! Except a couple things- Is that a seat belt over your lap?; How much water stands around yr feet with those scuppers? How do you get in the sucker, it looks like same re-entry as a typical SINK.

OK-here is the site link. I won't spoil the fun for discovering where these are made. I'll just say the exchange rate is VERY favorable, and that's how you can get a glass kayak SOT for under $700.00.

I have no Idea what shipping would run

I have left-off the front end of the link so stay within the SOL rules for links to commercial sites:

seakayak.co.za/kayak_store/show_products.asp?type=2

JimW,

good questions. I'd like to know the same things. If you link through to the series of Paddleyaks, you'll see the Explorer model, which is a glass SOT full-out and wider and really nice looking. It has hatches and flush mount rod holder and bungee systems.

And they cost even less. The Hybrid models are a little more. Man I want to paddle a few of those.... Anyone have a Lear Jet? I can be ready in a few hours.

S1

I think they are actually more like 23.6 beam. My yak is 23.5, it's has enough primary and plenty of secondary stability. The seat should be lower than a SOT so your CG is lowered and they are longer. Length also increases stability since there is more volume to try to push under water when its leaned.

Sharp1,

These boats look like a lot of fun.

One other thing I want to add if/when I build one is padded thigh hooks integrated into the coaming. What do you think?