Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfacetension

Yak fishing report

8 posts in this topic

Fished Glen Island today with Kayakjoe and JonS, water was dead low tide no wind we saw some birds working but when we got there it was over , Trolled a 4" sassy shad in black and white deep Jon hit a nice slot fish that was really FAT looked like a largemouth I hooked a FAT 31 inch fish that give me a real good fight , one other small fish and Jon dropped one . Some fish hit the surface but we didn't hook up, weather was great, had to shed sweatshirts as the day went on . Special thanks to Jon S and kayakjoe for letting me tag along, my best yak fish to date. ( I think I'm ready for a new ride) The area is gorgeous with lots of rock and structure. And I learned alot for watching these guys today. Its nice to have people help you along and lessen the learning curve. Only wish someone had a camera

Great day and company. When those fish started on the surface we thought that we'd each get a few fish. I hooked up first cast, dropped the fish and that was it. They broke a few more times but we didn't hook up. We have no idea what the fish were feeding on because they were so fat. Hopefully fish are starting to move in.

I let Surfacetension try my Tourer out. Now he's trading in his Nav on a Tourer. By the way Mark I rigged it this afternoon.

hey surface....so I guess you finally measure that fish..well not the fish but the points on your rod...saying 31 inches does not do it justice, it was really fat...great job and lets do it again...things will explode down here...I hope smile.gif

I just sat down and had a glass of wine with a friend and I was trying to tell him jst how gorgeous that palce is , I don't know if it was the weather but that place is unbelievable, to be only miniutes from NYC . You can't put a day like today into words but with 2 new friends it makes for 1 great memory,

Hey Jon did you mount the scotty rod holder yet?? if you did I sure it's cool

, I can't wait to do it again Just call me thanks Joe and Jon

Surfacetension..I may be out to the Valley this weekend either on Saturday or Sunday trolling for trout. Either way i'd be there early and launch at the dirt ramp near the paved launching area. It all depends on the weather. Talk to you later.

Saturday morning looks like the day cause they're calling for rain Sat. night and Sunday, as of this time. Going to try and get there around 7:00 and close to sunrise. Again I would be launching at the dirt ramp on the left had side facing the water of Round Valley Reservoir. Looks like it's going to be a colder morning so I'll be trolling deep-diving plugs on light line. Well talk to you guys soon.

[This message has been edited by pmjasper (edited 12-06-2001).]

Guys a day like yesterday is why I'm a yak fisherman. We didn't get into hot fishing but kayak fishing is all about opportunity and a chance to enjoy the great outdoors in an unencumbered way. It allows one the freedom to get on the water and enjoys days like yesterday. New friends in pursuit of new adventures.

Joey, the Hutch looked really interesting as we headed up to the Tappanzee. Definately needs to be explored one of these day.