Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnmusicn

Fishfinder battery location

4 posts in this topic

I've been working on my sit inside kayak to get it ready for hooking up with you guys sometime. I'd really prefer a SOT but won't be able to do it this year. I've put flotation bags in front and back since I don't have bulkheads or hatches and installed 2 flush mount rodholders behind the seat. I have an old Eagle Supra Pro Id that has little use that I'll mount in front of the cockpit. I put the transducer up front in the middle of the boat with Marine Goop making sure to sand the hull and wet with alcohol first. Hoping its going to hold. My dilemma is that the length of wire from jack in back of FF to battery clips is not long enough to reach behind the seat where I wanted to put the battery, and I'll either have to splice and add wire to get the extra length, or put the battery up front. If I put it up front, the best place seems to be right in front of my seat between my legs and I was going to use a short bungee to keep it tight and in place, and enclosed in a small soft cooler. Other than the location problem, will the electric charge so close to me present any kind of physical hazard? I'm not really up on electronics so don't know. Maybe it would be better to just splice the wire to get the battery behind the seat. I got a rechargeable battery from Cabela's, so it seems fairly lightweight and if I kept it up front, I was going to trim the weight in the back with a small dumbell of about the same weight. Any ideas? Thanks much -

Ohhh, remember when you were a kid and wanted to see if your 9V transistor batteries were good? You would lick it, right? Just imagine a little more zap to it for mr. happy if you get it close enough and wet! cwm31.gif

Just another idea. If you are not that concerned about weight above the water line go to Radio Shack and get the mushroom velcro strips and mount the battery on the underside of your deck. Hopefully, you won't bang your knees or kick it with your feet. This will take care of your wire problem. smile.gif