Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobfishgerald

Light question

10 posts in this topic

I have this kayak in my garage that I am rigging for fishing next season. I found this water proof boating light that I zip tyed to the milk crate I have mounted on the back. I thought that if I went out in low or no light conditions it would be prudent to run with some sort of light marking my boat. But now that I have it all rigged it turns out that this light only runs in blinking mode. Which brings me to my question:

Is it ok to run a flashing white light to mark your position or does it have some other nautical meaning?

I could easily unrig the blinker and rerig a constant light but given that the boat is going to be fishing in Boston Harbor the blinking light might prove to be safer over the long haul. But I do not want to use it if in fact a blink light is a sign of distress or something.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice, Bob

the guys at kyfs put one on my kayak that is pretty good, it operates on a couple batteries and can be removed from a very small base. i have the regs somewhere that i'll try to post a little later but a the very least you will need a steady light. you can look up the regs on line at the USCG site if you want, it will give you correct illumination, height, etc. For a Yak the height will not be an issue but you must have a means of being seen. i'll get back to you in a bit if someone else doesn't answer.

I have this kayak in my garage that I am rigging for fishing next season. I found this water proof boating light that I zip tyed to the milk crate I have mounted on the back. I thought that if I went out in low or no light conditions it would be prudent to run with some sort of light marking my boat. But now that I have it all rigged it turns out that this light only runs in blinking mode. Which brings me to my question:

Is it ok to run a flashing white light to mark your position or does it have some other nautical meaning?

I could easily unrig the blinker and rerig a constant light but given that the boat is going to be fishing in Boston Harbor the blinking light might prove to be safer over the long haul. But I do not want to use it if in fact a blink light is a sign of distress or something.

Thanks a lot for the help and advice, Bob

Flashing white can be a distress signal or a personnel locator beacon.

Inland waters....you need to have a light ready for signalling another craft. It does not have to be mounted or fixed. After two near misses, I found it wiser to use a bow (Red\\Green) and a stern light (White) always at night. There does not seem to be many battery operated models out there. You can get them with clamp on mounts. I use LED lights I found at EMS for $25.00 each. One Light contains both green/red combo, white in 3 power levels and a distress flasher. They mount with suction cups.

I use an led pole mounted light (white), attached to my milk crate, that I got from kyfs. The light sticks up about a foot over my head when sitting in the kayak, so it can be seen from any angle.

I also have a flashing distress light pinned to my pfd (and not mounted on the yak).

As to red/green bow lights and with a white stern light, I have heard that with such an arrangement you could be mistaken for a power boat, so it might not be a good idea.

The bi-color (red/green) states you are under power and able to move your position. Solid white means you are at anchor or drifting and not under power.

Also having a hand held light to signal with, just so some idiot doesn't mistake you for a light on land and run you down by accident.

The strobe would signal a distress or locator beacon, so keep it on hand, but don't use it for navigational purposes.

Have fun out there!

as a last resort a good powerfull handheld flaslight is a must for the boat that keeps coming and doesnt seem to see ya. We also put reflective tape on both sides of bow and stern,

barrell

I generally fish in 15 to 30 feet of water & that is pretty close to the rocky ledges where I am. I wear my Red\\White head lamp. When a boat comes towards me I first turn on the red and just look at my reflective strips on my bow & stern - they "light" right up. If a don't see a reaction from the boat I switch to the dual halogen whites (kills my night vision) & look right at the boat's cockpit. I have a spare waterproof halogen hand held flashlight within reach & a strobe "c-light attached to my PFD. A horn or whistle is advisable as well - some folks do not look where they are going.