Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HardyG

Hobie Adventure

9 posts in this topic

They arrived at Jon's shop earlier this week, and I stopped by to look at them in preparation for picking mine up tomorrow. Holy mackeral, they are sweet biggrin.gif This is a touring yak with pedal drive, and looks like a leopard ready to pounce. Flaws: the rod holders are too shallow, and they are molded in such a way that you can't cut them out and install flush mounts. There is not much deck space up front, to it will take some time to see how foot motions might bonk into sonar, GPS, rod holder etc. These issues are certainly surmountable, and this thing looks like it will take you to places yaks have not gone before. Can not wait to take it out Monday.

Jim,

I'm taking it out in freshwater today for a test drive, and then tomorrow in the salt for putsuit of striped ones. Having owned a Prowler 15 and still owning an Outback, I can tell you that going from paddle to pedal drive is mind-blowing. the only way I will ever use a paddle yak again is my Tarpon 120 on river trips where the Hobie drive is unsuitable. You simply will not believe the difference in range, fishability, and safety.

That is what I have been told...however it is hard to imagine I would miss the paddle...one of my favorite things about being on the water is the feeling of the paddle cutting through the water...We'll see.

let us know how you do in the salt

Also, how is the weight? and loading it

Jim

HeadHunter

I picked up my new Adventure last Friday. Went to KFS and did a test paddle/pedal, very nice so I took one home. I also have a P15 and the Hobie paddles better you can cruise at 3.5 to 4mph no problem. It pedals even better. Now in a sprint it paddles 6.1mph and pedals 6.5mph since I am not used to the pedal style of yakin it will only improve as my stamina does. It is a little less stable than a P15 about the same as a T160 I would say. I started rigging so check the other kayak site for pic's.

Paul

Took the Adventure out in Jamacia bay on Monday. Managed a few small bass, nothing special but better than getting skunked. A few things. The Adventure is very fast, almost deceptively so. You do not realize how much water you cover even a liesurely pedal rate, which read as 4 mph on the GPS. In a paddle yak, that would take some effort, especially against the wind. Next, very stable, and it tracks like a bullet. The outback is all over the place if you take your hand off the rudder. Tons of storage, more than you could ever need. Ok, that's the good. The bad is that there is VERY little rigging area on the gunwales, which limits your choice of accessory placement. they put a scotty mount on the starboard side, which could hold your depthfinder with the right bracket, but forget a rod holder as it will interfere with pedaling. You need a Ram tube if you want to put a rod up front. Next, my seat broke, as did the one on another Adventure. Dang buckle snapped in half, and I had to rig a half-buttocked setup to be able to get through the day. All in all, I'd say it's a three run homer. If they change the deck layout, grand slam with no trouble.

Thanks for all the info.....the speed of that thing sounds awesome.....I like having at least one rod in front of me.....always my trolling rod....I use the ram tubes now and like them so I guess that is ok for me....that sucks about the seat....hopefully they will get you a new one ASAP

Keep us informed about any other observations...especially how it handles rough seas....My prowler is awesome in the rough stuff

Jim

I've never used a kayak but I do use a 16' Oldtown Camper canoe with a 35# trolling motor. If I need to cover a lot of ground fast I use the troller AND paddle at the same time... really moves along then. I've talked to a few guys in Hobies as they peddle by and they seem quite pleased with their kayaks. Really kool looking form of locomotion as they go by.

Can you paddle AND peddle at the same time??? Seems like the position peddling requires you to assume might not be condusive to high speed paddling at the same time.