Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rich / In2Bass

Kayak Cart Wheels

9 posts in this topic

Thats funny, I just pulled a golf cart out of someone's garbage. The wheels are a little beat up, but the price was right.

Try a search here, there's been a few threads on sources for tires.

The four wheeler I see on the beach apparently reduce tire pressure to around 12 to 15 psi and they get around. I would define the problem as how much surface area would the wheel have to have in contact with the sand so that the pressure wouldn't exceed say 5 psi. The wheels are going to support most but not all of the weight. That might come down to 25# per wheel.

Mr SB, I certainly don't have to do the math for you but to satisfy my curiousity:

25#/5psi=5 square inches.

The tire is 10" in dia. so 10" x 3.14 (pi) =31.4 in.in circumference.

Every inch of width represents 31.4 square inches of surface

If the wheel is 1 1/2 in wide that would be:

1 1/2' x 31.4' = 47.4 sq in.

5/47.4 = .105 or 36 degrees of the 360 degree circumfirence. In other words about 5" would be in the sand. It would be like constantly climbing a small incline when you pull it.

If the wheel were 2" wide and the sand would support 10 psi you would roll right through. Lots of variables here.

I've experimented with 3 different pairs from that company. ( varing heights and widths.) Had some 10"x 4" w metal rims,and some12"x2" plastic and 10"x3" plastic w a metal bearing. All held up well for the limited use I've given them. (Maybe 4-6 dunkings a season) A good coat of wax and a blast w the hose kept the metal rims looking almost new for two years. Still, I like the plastic rimed versions because they weighed almost 1/2 as much. Still sturdey too. (Had a pair of plastic rimmed pnumatics on my 90# , 11' cedar strip skiff .) The 10x3" are probobly the best for gen use. The heavier 4" wide metal rims wold probobly be best if los of SOFT sand were teh norm. They all had valve stems so I did air down to less than 10 psi. Sand wasn't an issue but to be honest, I never took one in the real Deep/loose stuff. Mostly mud trails, gravel beaches and semi-packed sand.Soft tires help smoothen the haul along rough ground as well. Heck of allot better than the lawn mower wheels I started out with! BTW, www.harborfeight.com has the metal rimmed wheels. The northern site Has both plastic/metal.

hth

Dave