Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Any Wilderness System Tarpon yakkers out here ?

10 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting one .They have a good deal on now .Extra 10% off yak 15% off their accessories .I have yet to paddle one.Might try to get out to Yak dealer and do a little paddle.I know the Gulf guys on other boards seem to like them.Any opions would be appreciated.

joev

Joev - what's an opion? Just teasing.

I'm glad that you're looking at SOTs now cause we're discussing doing a camping trip to either the Elizabeths or Monomoy Island next spring and a SIT would be dangerous.

You ought to check out the Tourer. Surfacetension tried mine today and now he's getting one.

joev..whats up buddy...I paddled the tarpon and I thought it was fast but didnt think it was great for fishing because of lack of storage space, sure it has a shtch in the back but its really useless while on the water. also it has this little bit of tippyness.

Kayakjoe Whats up man .We missed ya the other day at Milford.So far I only bad thing I heard was lack of storage.I gotta paddle one to find out about stabilty.Thanks for the input.Talk to ya soon.

JonS,

Just wondering why a sit in would be dangerous for the trip you are planning. I was considering a trip back up for this one. I have plenty of carrying capacity on my boat, and have had it out in some hairy situations. Plus I'm getting pretty proficient with my roll.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

Most yak fishierman don't have a strong kayak background, like you, and doing a roll isn't in the cards for them. You're the exception, rather then the norm.

Also most recreational kayaks, which are used for kayak fishing, tend to be wider and from what I've been told the wider the yak the worst it rolls. The physics certainly agrees. Once you get to a certain width they don't roll. Take a yak like a Pungo, one can put a skirt on it but I doubt that it would roll easily. Another factor is the surf. I don't see how anyone is going to do a roll in the surf with waves breaking and their head being ground into the sand. Again if one has a mishap in the surf, you and the kayak are 2 seperate entities.

SOTs are easier to use and outfit. For the majority of fisherman an SOT is a better choice. Any problem and you're no longer part of the yak. SOTs come in so many configurations now that one can usually find a yak to do the job.

This is all my opinion, but the majority of kayaks used for fishing are SOTs, so obviously its a shared opinion.

What's great about this sport is that there are so many choices and many kayaks of both styles that can be adapted to kayak fishing. Viva la choice. As kayak fishing grows we're going to see even more choices and specialized kayaks for fishing, not just a marketing ploy by a kayak company wishing to sell more kayaks, but trully better functioning fishing yaks. I can't wait.

Thanks Jon,

Guess you wouldn't mind if I tagged along on this then. Getting ready to go thru a class with the a guy I work with who is a certified instructor. The club he belongs to has indoor swimming pool clinics in the winter for rolling. As it stands, I may be succesful on 50-75% of my rolls, I want to be 100%.

I know what you are say about the dangers in the surf zone. Had a magor lesson in humility this fall. I tried launching in the surf on LBI with some fairly large rollers beyond the sand bars. I almost made it out, but misjudged the set of waves I was trying to go out on. I pushed thru the third and what I assumed was the last wave in the set, only to have a fourth wave lift my bow and push me back into the sand bar stern first. The next part was unclear to me when it happened but a gentleman on the beach described it vividly for me. My yak ended up standing nearly verticle on top of the bar, and rolling over and slamming me to the water upside down. I was not able to roll out of this, being stuck in the break zone. I made a wet exit, flipped the yak right side up, and proceeded to be smashed around by breaking waves. Thank God Necky makes water tight hatches on their boats, she stayed very bouyant even with a full cockpit. I was able to hang onto the cockpit and slowy swim the boat out of the danger zone. Lost my plug bag and probably $100-$150 worth of plugs, but got back to shore with some assistance from a surffisherman who was nearby. Learned a valuable lesson that day.

[This message has been edited by Mullet Miller (edited 12-08-2001).]