Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper Stalker

Sea sickness

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong forum, but i would like to go on a few boat fishing trips this year and would like to know what is the best pill/patch for sea sickness. Someone had mentioneed a prescription from my doc. what do u guys think????

I think the Rx stuff is called "TransDermScop"? The Scop is for Scopalamine, which is what the Nazis used as 'truth serum' to interogate prisoners. cwm8.gif

Back in the day, I went on an offshore sailing race to Bermuda, and the Capt. was a doctor from Canada. He had some of the patches when they were still in the trial stage. I had one on for about 5 days, and had some really bizarre hallucinations cwm12.gif - I assume they've worked out the kinks since then.

I always take one Dramamine less drowsy formula an hour or so before hitting the water and usually another about an hour or two into the trip. Can drink like a fish too, even in 5-6 foot swells.

Have also been out on perfectly calm days with no meds and been ok.

I used to get sick back in the day....been quite some years now. for me marezine worked the best by far. never tried any patches or wrist bands

can you grow out of getting sick? I wonder if it was mental when I was younger? confused.gif

Striper21495,

I've used the scopalamine patch, and it worked great, but think it might have made me a little loopy (more so than usual). My doc also prescribed meclizine tablets for me; in the event that I became ill, even with the patch, I was to take the tablets, umm, analy. cwm31.gif

CL that was way to much information.

But if I had a choice, I'd rather have stuff coming out an entrance, than in an exit icon25.gif .

I always take one Dramamine less drowsy formula an hour or so before hitting the water and usually another about an hour or two into the trip. Can drink like a fish too, even in 5-6 foot swells.

Have also been out on perfectly calm days with no meds and been ok.

I agree wit Jaws I do the same if going out for a long trip-haven't had a problem yet and it's cheap!!!!! HappyWave.gifbiggrin.gif Tight Lines!

40 years of being on the water, a licensed captain and I am still susceptible to getting seasick, especially if I am just out for a ride on someone else's boat. If I am busy on my own rig be it running it or working the pit then there's never an issue. I really like the Bonine, and I have a box of ginger snaps with me if I will be away from the dock for 24 hours or more. Avoid alcohol and greasy foods prior to sailing. When you start to feel the onset get your arse outside and get some fresh air, not back of the boat diesel backwash, but in the bow. Oddly enough, EAT SOMETHING while you still feel good enough to do so, cuz when you start pukin yer gonna be real happy that there is something there to come up. You'll feel better once ya puke, so eat some more and drink some water. If you're on a boat where you can lay down for a nap it will help, otherwise fish through it and pay attention to the horizon, not at the water directly below you.

SEA BANDS ...... put them on before you step on board. They work on accupressure points that suppress the feeling of nausea. I used to get sick all the time ... never stopped me for going but after trying SEA BANDS I haven't been sick in years. They work.

$9.95 in any good drug store ... buy them you won't regret it.

Drinking while taking Dramamine??

Very bad idea bud!!

You should never drink alcohol while taking antihistamines.

Everybody is different but there are chances that if you have the right (wrong) biochemistry, that can mess you up big time!!!

Please, DONT drink on any medications for seasickness!!