Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; March 2013

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

As this uncommonly mild winter rolls along ever closer to the finish line, here's the third of our usual trio of winter season fishin' reports in the monthly mode; back to the bi-weekly routines - and hopefully some nice fish - come April, if not a few just a bit sooner than that.

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? ;)

Fished a few days recently...surf water temps are still cold...had 38 - 40 degrees and this was on the south end of the Peninsula. No fish caught... This time last year the surf water was about 8 degrees warmer and by the end of the month (Mar. 2012) there were some big fish around ;)...

Not going to happen this March...winter water temps have been normal, meaning normally cold. I was on the Choptank River Sunday...very cold water and no signs of any life in the water...

Poppy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumble Fish aka Poppy View Post

Fished a few days recently...surf water temps are still cold...had 38 - 40 degrees and this was on the south end of the Peninsula. No fish caught... This time last year the surf water was about 8 degrees warmer and by the end of the month (Mar. 2012) there were some big fish around wink.gif...

Not going to happen this March...winter water temps have been normal, meaning normally cold. I was on the Choptank River Sunday...very cold water and no signs of any life in the water...

Poppy

Nice, thanks for the report!  Was thinking about heading out that way, but will hold off.

Fished a few days recently...surf water temps are still cold...had 38 - 40 degrees and this was on the south end of the Peninsula. No fish caught... This time last year the surf water was about 8 degrees warmer and by the end of the month (Mar. 2012) there were some big fish around ;)...

Poppy

It's probably a stretch but something I have been noticing over the last several years is that when the smallies here where I fish in PA begin that initial consistent spring bite the bite picks up out front in DE and below. Your observations about the river conditions there are the same here at this time. I went back over my logs and past observations from this forum and was impressed by the correlation. The later the bite here the later the bite there and vice versa almost consistently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post

It's probably a stretch but something I have been noticing over the last several years is that when the smallies here where I fish in PA begin that initial consistent spring bite the bite picks up out front in DE and below. Your observations about the river conditions there are the same here at this time. I went back over my logs and past observations from this forum and was impressed by the correlation. The later the bite here the later the bite there and vice versa almost consistently.

I never thought about that but i think you're on to something.  The smallie bite picked up very early last season here in the Susquehanna.  It was the same way down at the shore for me.

when the water temps gets above a certain point, the line goes on the reels... soon, I'm getting antsy

Tell me about it sister. I'm in Galveston, TX right now for a conference and the guys are catching reds right in front of the hotel. Killing me, but we were in sessions until 10:30pm last night.