Great rod holders

I recently installed flush mount rod holders to the rear and side of my Scupper Pro Tw's seat. Unfortunately the rods ended up being to close to each other and lighter rods banged into each other and got tangled. My lines also crossed each other frequently when trolling. Cabella's had a solution, flush mount rod holder adapters that pivot to any position. Unfourtunately the cabells holders cost $30.00 a piece. I went down to Lowes and found a 68 cent alternative. I bought a small piece of PVC piping that branches into an odd shaped Y. I wraped the base with duct tape to get the right diameter to fit into my flush mount holders. The Y section spins in the holder like a gun turrent. I can place my rod in either hole of the Y, in the vertical hole or the horizontal hole. The horizontal is excellent for trolling , I can position my rods almost straight out like outriggers, or adjust them to line up parallel to the yak for launches from the beach (the rods are almost prone in this position in case I roll so they wont stick in the sand and break), this position is also great when going under low bridges and tressels. The Upright position is great when I'm rigging up.The PVC Y is very durable and I bet they are stronger and less complicated to use then Cabella's. I can't believe how well this set up works. Tom H

That's interesting idea Tom.

Glad it worked out. I have the same boat.

Question:

What prevents the Y from swinging toward rear of boat while rod is in horizontal position? Basically, what keeps the PVC from rotating in the rod holder?

Thanks

The duct tape?

That is way too slick Tomh! The Y piece is what I've missed. I use a straight 12" length of 1" pvc hot glued inside of a 12" length of 1 1/4" pvc to make a "rocket launcher" that fits into my flush mounts(total length ~18"). I hot glued a wrap of foam on the 1" end instead of the duct tape and shove that into the flush mount to use it. Works great but does not allow for angle adjustment. But it does if I add the wye. Shoot, with the wye you don't need the 1 1/4" at all.

------------------

Wali

<'(((<<

[This message has been edited by Waljojo (edited 06-02-2002).]

while sleeping I dream of great fish and strong fights