Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Oliver

Can you Hire Kyaks in Montuk

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys I visit the point area every year and would like to try kyaking. AA will not let me put one on their planes so anyone know if they cn be hired locally

Tight Lines

Don't know the answer - but I am not sure Montauk is a good place to start, if you're not a competent kayaker already. Those currents are pretty strong.

Brian

Thanks for the warning. You are right about the currents and rips around Montauk. I can't pretend to know them intimately but have had several years experience of them.

I certainly would not consider paddling in the rip off the point half tide incoming.

What I was considering doing was paddling around the Noth side west of Colloden point and back into Old Navey road area where tide movement is not so fierce.

Yes my Kayacking experience is not huge, but my survival instincts are pretty much tuned up. I always do risk assements and if I am not up to it or my gear I don't go.

Funny really I have skished round Montauk but the Kayak could also present some tough challenges to. Think I will have to re-think this one.

Any other views as to the safety aspects guys.

Thanks

Glacier Bay sports in Brookhaven on the way out has SOT's and Sinks for rent.

Take LIE to exit 68 and onto William Floyd Parkway South. Follow to County Road 80 Montauk Hwy. Make a right less than 1 mile on the right.

Thanks for your help. I should have thought of gogle myself.

Mind, have done searches for motels and houses in Montauk on the web and trying to get a response thereafter is like trying to pull hens teeth.

tight Lines

The north side is a great place to start, don't forget Gin beach to shagwon (fluke, Albies, Blues. Bass and an occasional seal as a hitchhiker!)

If you feel daring, a launch from Clarks is always good for calm water, and to be 200 - 300 yards away from the conga lines during a blitz is great! (unless Ron Arra is around - then you need a hard hat because you are still in range)

If the water is moving right to left at the point, I would not get closer to the light then the weed bowl.

Turtle Cove to Camp Hero is not where I would want to try to a landing in a heavy surf, but if you get sucked around you have little option unless one of the boats come to your aid.

Just noticed a place on 27 just as you come into East Hampton that rents kayaks, on the west bound side of the road. They have a big rack with a dozen or so SOT's, and a RNETAL sign, I doubt you will miss it

Hi Try Uileins in Montauk . Did not see info on uileins website but click on picture of kayak in uileins ad on jack yees site . (Link to commercial site DELETED) Jim

[ 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: AMMODYTE ]

Mike, there are a couple of places to rent Yaks on the East End.

Amagansett Beach and Bicycle (Next to Brents Deli)

Main Beach Surf and Sport in Wainscott

Kayak at Springs General Store in Springs

I remember one of the gas stations in Montauk having yaks available last year, just as you get into the village (empire gas ??????? Maybe)

You might want to check Plaza Sports in the village as well, I know that they rent Bikes.

I'm bound to be out near there within the next week or so, I'll give it a look.

Tony

Mike,

Make sure you rent a sit on top model yak.

I own a sit in model classic Pungo and would have trouble in an area other than the North side. Getting out in surf to some extent would be possible, but getting back in would get edgy.

Good Luck,

Steve smile.gif