Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Fishing Power Plants

6 posts in this topic

Well its getting colder now.I have 4 inches of snow on the ground.But still thinking of how to bend a rod off the yak.There are a bunch of power plants around Most have some great fishing.Especially the one in sheltered areas that could holdover fish.

The ones I know of in Ct are Montville on the Thames River.DougieV's Millstone in Waterford and Devon plant on the Housatonic river.I know there is a great winter fishery at the Thames.Also seen many a report over the years of guys getting fish at Devon mid winter.Guys by Hackensack were talking of a power plant with hold overs.Also there has to be some on the Hudson River.So lets talk power plant fishing at some of these spots.

I am sure there are some of these spots very near you.I would like to hear about them.JimW and I were looking at this huge place on Long Island just yesterday wondering what it was.Its across the sound from Bridgeport.Anybody know ?

joev

JoeV. That Is the mack daddy of hot water discharges In Northport.It Is the largest oil burning plant in the U.S.It used to be called LILCO but It Is now LIPA(Long Island Power Authority)I have been fishing It for 25 years and have probably fished It more then any other person In that time.I was

a culture and lab manager for an environmental company for 8 years, and had my office on the discharge lagoon.I would actually take casts 5' from my door and catch 10-15 bass during lunch.

Last winter I used It as a testing ground for my kayak rigging and fishing techniques.In years past the water temp was a lot higher then it is now.It also held more fish, but the government made it so that they can only go so many degrees above the ambient water temp. In case of a shut down the fish do not die from temp.shock.

You can access It from crab meadow beach, one mile east. Or from the boat ramp 1/4 mile west(off season only).

It would be an awesome spot for a winter kayak fling.If you are interested In hitting it sometime let me know.The beaches in that area are my main spring haunts starting in late Feb during a warm winter and mid march during a cold winter.I plan on taking Joey over to them once they start working as a thank you for showing a lot of us his backyard.(No Joey it is not "the spot")I will only show you that after some sort of blood letting ritual to be determined at a later date. Then you will go on double secret probation.

JoeV If you have any other questions let me know.

Doug M

Sounds good Doug .How big were the bass in the winter ?Maybe we can hookup on one of those thaw days.A winter fling sounds good to me.Thanks for the info.

I have never fished the Montville plant but with all the stripes in the Thames river there has to be some good fishing there.I know they catch fish from 12-24" at a 30-40 a day clip from Norwich in midwinter.I think it was last year a guy got one 30+ pds from there in Feb.

joev

There's a plant on the Hackensack that I was told produces well in the winter. Its relatively close to my home (40 minutes) so I plan on spending some time fishing it.

JonS, I'm dying to find this power plant- bit I'll be damned if I can find the thing?! I'm gonna check around the area in Seacaucus again, and someone said it was in Bogota, so maybe I'm not in the right spot... any more info would be appreciated, and I'll keep you up to date as to what I discover- thanks, Bob