Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Rigging Example

31 posts in this topic

rigging.jpg

"Before"

This shot of the Wave Witch shows the Sonar, GPS, and Scotty Flush mount rigging. That is a rudder bar accross the tunnel, and this yak does box turns.

scicalico.jpg

"After"

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 02-15-2002).]

I guess that fish there is one with no teeth.

Got anymore pictures of the witch, shots of the hull maybe?

That, as JonS knows very well, is a toad Calico Bass. You don't see those every day. HEy Jon, I know where an inshore kelp bed is that is untapped and is loaded with these things! It is at SCI.

witch01.jpg

JimW-This shows the bow of the hull sort of.. .

witch02.jpg

....and this shot of the stern shows the mondo rudder, which has a flexible trailing edge and lower tip! One helluva boat. I can paddle it 5.2 MPH without bursting a forehead vein. It has an all carbon layup and carbon over foam stringers and thwarts.Sharp1

I wouldn't put my GPS there. My guess is your using velcro to hold it down. With my long legs that unit would just get in the way. I now have a waterproof clear floating phone bag that my GPS will go into. I'll just carry it around my neck and sit it on my leg if I need to pinpoint a location or log in a new spot.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 02-15-2002).]

JimW-It was my web site(ikayakfish.com) and Hunt Johnsen sent me all those pics as he built it. It was really exciting to see it come together. I have closed that site, and have not heard from Hunt in a while. A buddy is getting a pair made though!!

FLYRODER: The GPS is perfect there(for me) It is held in place by the factory mount; which swivels and tilts. The GPS is used to display Speed, Headings and time of day. It has mondo (PIG Font) options and I ardly use the GPS to mark ordinates. I love the trip meter. It is 100% waterproof and needs no bag. I do have a smaller one for the vest. This mounted GPS is part of my dashbopard instrumentations. I have bailed on/off the yak several times at sea and did not bang into it at all. Your milage may vary. See YA

Sharp1 if it works for you thats great. For me with my long legs it would just get in the way. Even though my Garmin 76 GPS is waterproof with only 1 years warranty for such an expensive unit I don't want to take the chance on having something go wrong with it if I get dunked.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 02-15-2002).]

Where did you get that nice high monitor bracket for the Garmin?

Thanks DASBOOT,

The GArmin GPS mounting bracket is a GArmin Mount. I got one of the first ones and they sell them at any Garmin dealer. I picked up that one at West Marine.

Sharp1

I don't see your power cables from the monitor into the hull.Are they integrated in to the bracket?If you have a hull hole for them, how do you have it plugged?

Thanks!

DASBOOT,

The first image above; look very closely and you'll see a white fitting under the Sonar monitor on the deck.It is a PVC threaded fitting much like yours(but a big smaller) and indeed the cables are not shown in the "Shop" pictures. The cables are blocked from view in the "Water" shot. Basically, I had Hunt mount a battery box and cable conduit into the hull before the deck was mated. He also installed a wet cell tranny and the power and Xducer cables run fwd in this conduit and emerge right under the fwd hatch that the Sonar unit(a Vexilar Boundary Waters Model) is fastened to. This sonar unit's bracket, which is a Vexilar bracket, is fastened to the threaded style hatch cover.

So there is a 6 inch hatch fwd, and a 10 inch hatch aft, under which the battery box and tranny wet cell resides. There is very little storage space below decks, as Hunt added foam pillars fore and aft to increase strength(an option). What I eally enjoy about this boat is that it weighs less that 30# rigged! Thanks for the Kind words.

Sharp1

Hey, Sharp: Whydja close that website, I used to enjoy looking at it for the short time you had it running?

There brewed a fierce(Read ardent) split amongst the ranks of kayak anglers way out west about three months after launching the site. Although my humble site was 100% commercial free and staffed by half a 1/2 dozen knowlegable volunteers, it seemed that a few commercial kayak site operators and their minions had a problem with a staffer of a free-bee site posting and voicing the truth about products, technical matters and business dealings on open forum boards. I was attacked on-line repeatedly for my noble; albeit well aimed editorial and technical missives. I am now banned from posting on one famous board for being "an aspiring industry entity" and for "trying to establish credability". Pretty funny now that I look back upon it. It became one ugly ugly bulletin board battle with lines being drawn-unfortunately. I simply pulled the plug on the site so as to not fuel the fire and to stop the hate mail and threats. It was and is a hobby for me, so instead of hosting that site, I just contribute/bother the SOL'ers with such nonsense these days. I still have the site archived to CDR-want it cwm27.gif

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 02-17-2002).]