Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Springer

jigs with LARGE hooks

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

For a number of years I have been searching for a bare jig to replace the ball jigs that used to be sold on this site all the while watching my stash grow increasingly thin. If you look in any local tackle shop the hooks used on jigs are downright sissy. To make matters worse I find myself often fishing jigs ranging from 1/2 to 1 oz and the hooks on these seemed sized for a crappie. I recently came across some jigs made by Hogy that looked aweful nice. The cool thing about these is that they make them all the way down to 0.5 oz on the same 10/0 barbarian jig hooks as the heavier jigs. Let me tell you these things are huge. For comparison sake I placed this 0.5 oz jig next to a 4/0 mustad O'Shaunassy hook that would be about the biggest hook you could find locally in a comparably weighted jig. The only downside I can see is that the hook shank is so long it will only be good for plasics and won't be good for rigging eels. Hogy does sell a more traditional shorter shank jig that I might order to try for those purposes.

Looks like a beast. Make sure they are sharp. That's a lot of hook to punch through the roof of a striper's mouth with a relatively light jetty rod.

That hook looks pretty solid. A lot of those light weight lure hooks look questionable if you get a good-size fish on, they can straighten them out. Look at the hooks on the Tsunami swim shads - now, that's one heck of a solid hook. If you find any jig heads with a hook like that, let me know.

Nice discovery and thanks for the welcome tip :th:

Hey Bill :wave:

Looks like a beast. Make sure they are sharp. That's a lot of hook to punch through the roof of a striper's mouth with a relatively light jetty rod.

Good point Plug. I had been experimenting with some huge 9" shad bodies the last few years to try and up the quality of my fish. I had a few takes but could never stick them. I figured it was due to so little of the smaller hook being exposed. If I am throwing those I am using a legit 2-4 oz jetty stick, which should have the hook setting muscle.

That hook looks pretty solid. A lot of those light weight lure hooks look questionable if you get a good-size fish on, they can straighten them out. Look at the hooks on the Tsunami swim shads - now, that's one heck of a solid hook. If you find any jig heads with a hook like that, let me know.

I never used the Tsunami shads but this hook should be up to the task. Maker claims they are good for tuna to 150 or 200 lbs, should be fine for bass

Looks like a home made mold. You can modify molds to take a bigger hook with a Dremel also. I have a Shad head mold I was thinking about doing it with in the 3/4 and 1oz. range, but not with a hook that big. Maybe a 6/0 to 8/0 just for the wider gap for the larger rubber baits. I understand your needs from your post for the lighter weight jigs having bigger hooks though.