Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glazehead

Kyyak Snowgoose Hunting

6 posts in this topic

Put in at Fortesque, paddled down to Straight Creek, got out and hit the weeds and got my first snowgoose of the season. Not as much fun and striper fishing and not much of a fight, but it beats staying home arguing with the wife.

I have some long plastic bags about 7-1/2" wide that are long enough to cover everthing but about 10" of the stock (that's synthetic)that someone gave me years ago. They were used to test cement. When I run out I'll probably cut an industrial type trash bag longway and duct tape the seam together. Cheap, and easy to take off. Wet guns and gun cases are a hassle to clean and dry. I have a SOB, so I lay the stock on the floor and barrel on the top edge. I still got to camoflage the kyyak.

I hunt canada goose off of my yak. It's a ton of fun, we fish for small mouth bass and when we hear them honking up or down river, we put the poles down and pick up the 12 ga.

I really don't care if my gun gets wet or even submersed. I think that's the right attitude when kayaking. As far as the case, I use a waterproof case by avery as a scabbard.

If it was salt water, I'd be reluctant to do that, but so far, no harm has been done to my gun. It has a synthetic stock as well.

Here in VA, if I camo my kayak, I think it's considered a blind, so I just am thankful that it is netural grey.

Tight lines,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Long time no chat. You shoot off that thing? I gotta get into that action sometime. You and JT keep promising a smallie trip on the Shannendoah, what weekend do I set aside?

On a side note, you free for the Outer Banks this weekend? I'm heading down Friday pm.

Give me a shout on my cell sometime.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the invite, but I have plans for this weekend already.

Everything fun has been on hold for a while, since work is running my life now. Hopefully, this pace will cease when the spring arrives and the stripers start to spawn!

I hope you had a good holiday. I want to check out that digital camera that santa brought you.

Take care,

Joe