Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Fly Lne Identification

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

A couple of months ago I purchased a reel that had a used shooting head on it. The head is 30' long, light blue in color, with a welded yellow front loop and a welded black back loop. The loops appear to be factory made or else someone did a really great job of constructing them. There was a sticker that said ST 5/6 F on the reel. I've looked at the SA, Wulff, Rio, and Airflo websites and I haven't had any luck yet in figuring out more about this shooting head. Does anyone have an idea as to who may be the manufacturer of this shooting head?

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Finally found it!....Airflo Scandi Compact......That looks like what it is.....Now that I know who makes it, I can call them if necessary.

Thanks for taking a look.

Tim

Very nice Scandi Spey head, which is renamed as ECHO Scandi. There are two weights of 5/6 rating for DH rod. Yours with yellow front loop is 29ft/330gr. So all 10wt and most 9wt's and even powerful 8wt SH rods should be fine.

It has very long front taper which finishes very thin diameter so it shoots very far with narrow line loop but won't deliver big fly and isn't efficient when casting to head wind but when you turn it backwards black loop towards leader it becomes bit ugly to cast but it improves straightening and delivers bigger fly.

Esa

Esa,

Thanks for your advice on the uses for this line. I think that I'll get a couple of poly leaders and play around with this. I also have a TFO Deer Creek 11' switch rod in a 6 wt. that I might try this on. I recall other posts where you mentioned turning the head around to throw larger flies. I haven't done that before and it will be interesting experimenting with that too.

Thanks again Esa for the help.

Tim