Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Questions before Actions

8 posts in this topic

A bud and I have been considering getting into a kayak to access more area beyond the bars and into the bays. I realize it would take some time to learn the skills required before paddling out to fish on one. My concerns are the effects of wind and current on the ocean,bay,and rivers. I realize on a very windy day I would leave it at home and pound the beach, but in normal conditions, say 10-15 knot winds ( any direction ) in each area mentioned. I read here that the current in the Hackensack can make for quite a workout. Is this an every day tidal change thing or does it have to do with monthly tidal phases. Anything else you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome TJ Dont worry about it buy one and jump in.Its easy just use common sense on conditions .As for that area the Jersy guys will have to help ya.I would have to sday that the current thing is daily.

joev

When we fished the Hackensack it was a full moon so the currents were at their strongest. It still wasn't a problem. It was only Surfs..... 3rd or 4th time in a yak. Probably the most difficult things in kayak fishing are surf landings and anchoring in fast water (rapids class 2+). Neither is difficult, they just take practice. Like anythng you learn in stages. I would definately start off in the back bays, lakes and ponds. The time to practice in the surf is in the summer. The ocean fishing doesn't really happen until fall so you'll have plenty of time.

Winds are interesting and a 10-15 generally doesn't present a problem. A great deal depends upon where you're fishing and what direction the wind is coming from. On the Jersey shore a hard west will flatten the ocean but once you get a certian distance out its gonna blow you to Portugal. A wind sock helps a lot but can't work miracles. Over by Glen Island the most exposed wind is a NE. Its also responsible for the best fishing. 10-15 is welcomed. Over at Glen, when its windy, we use the kayaks to access the many islands and islets (name we use for reefs and tiny islands) where we then wear korkers and fish off these structures.

The best thing about kayak fishing is the ability to fish zones that nobody's fishing. There's all kinds of backwaters where a boat will spook fish and you can't reach them via land. Kayaks excell in these places. I especially like fishing at night in the summer. You can get right on top of the fish.

Like joev implied. Just do it. You'll be glad that you did and like all of us wonder what took you so long.

Thank you very much guys. We fish mostly the Raritan, back side of the Hook, and of course the beach in the fall/winter.He fishes Long Island also with a few of his guide friends out there and tells me there are great spots we could get into with a kayak. He also told me about a kayak/canoe show going on at the same time as the Fly Show in Somerset. Is it part of the show. I know they had some last year, just wondering if it's a bigger thing now that this sport is exploding. Most important to me are the safety aspects. Guess I'll be asking all the questions I can think of. Any you can offer would be appreciated !

I don't know about the canoe/kayak show. Paddlesport is in the same building but that's usually in April.

Tons of places to fish in LI with a yak.

Keep in mind that Paddlesport is neat and definately worth the trip, but its not a show. Its a sales event put on by a business that sells all the items offered in the show. You will only see items that the business sells. Reps aren't allowed to display anything in their line that the shop doesn't offer. You'll see a lot of neat stuff and get to see it in real life, not in a picture.

Sorely lacking will be kayak fishing accessories. We are a tremendous minority (kayak fisherman) in the world of kayaks. Most people who kayak don't fish. You'll see supposed fishing models which are manufacturer's attempts at capturing sales in a growing market. Keep a look out for all the fishing models that will have an anchor going out the bow of the kayak. Now consider that in a kayak you sit facing forward. Your casts are essentially going to be in the area of the anchor line. Where is a fish that has been hooked most likely to run? Its either gonna run across the anchor line or down current. In either situation you're in trouble. In a boat you fish off the stern. In a kayak yiou'll most often anchor from the stren. this way the anchor line is behind you and upcurrent. When a fish runs its far from your anchor line and probably isn't going to run upcurrent to find it. So not much thought about what is important to a fisherman has been put into these models. Keep this in mind and enjoy.