Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swfly

Stability ?

10 posts in this topic

JonS

Had been wanting to get a yak but,

A couple yrs back had an old towns stillwater 12. Quite wide at 41 inches but had a rolly unstable feeling to , and seemed to catch the wind easy. I'm an old boat nut so.

Now, without any yak exp. was wondering, does the explorer feel rolly and unstable as the canoes?????? Was told by someone from a well known canoe and yak shop that the canoe is the way to go for fishing..

One last thing, what lot was it that is for yak launching at the hook?????

Thanks

Walt

ps.

Iknow Jim de. has the stealth, awesome lookin jim, but but because of circumstances can't get one.. too big for the shed..

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 08-12-2000).]

Stability is a relative thing. I find my Explorer pretty stable. At the moment I've got my gear in a milk crate which is bungeed behind me and rod holders are attached to it. I'm constantly reaching behind me for stuff. I do thins in wind and waves and haven't tipped yet. Also in the Explorer its important that you're not long in the legs. My inseam is 31". Much longer than that and an Explorer wouldn't work and the Navigator would be the model in Cobra. The Nav is an explorer with a foot of length added.

If you want to try one out you're welcome to. Is this Walt from Columbia? I'm in Rockaway. I like the size of the Explorer. Its 11' by 31" and weighs 40#s.

JonS

No, I'm from Branchburg.

Was just wondering being the expl. is a sit on that it would catch the wind as bad as the still water canoe I use to own.

What was the lot # at the hook for launching??

Also, I take it that the leg straps are necessary to make yourself staible so to speak??

Thanks

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

If you have concerns with stability try out the Wildernes"The Ride: at www.wildsys.com I bought the angler version this spring and I am very happy with the yak.I have two other yaks,but The Ride is the one I take into the ocean.It is very beamy,but no dog to paddle.I have had it in high winds and large ocean swells.I trust my life to it when going out into the pacific ocean.Try it,you will like it!

Walt, the reason I choose a sit on top over a sit in was simple .....I paddle then wade to fish mostly. The ease of entry and exit and the ability to test the bottom conditions before commiting to the plunge were the advantages I sought.

Hey my stealth fits in a loft in my shed wink.gif

Tightlines~~~

SOTs won't catch as much wind as a SIT but they still catch the breeze. They are lower on the water than an SIT which would be similar to a canoe. I'm going to get a drift sock for when the wind is moving me too fast.

The hook spot where most people would launch is the second lot after the toll booths. I don't know the #. Its the one where all the windsurfers launch. The previous lot would be good if you had wheels/yak caddy to get the yak to the water. I just built 2 of them for my yak. One heavy duty with nuematic wheels and a light weight plastic one which I can strap to the back of the yak and take with me so I don't have to hike back to the truck.

Walt - I forgot to answer about the leg straps. I've used them and plan on getting a set for rivers but I don't consider them necessary for any of the fishing I've done out of a yak so far.

Jon, would you believe I had a ranger ready to ticket me for launching my yak there? Yup, right where the surfers and sailboarders launch, he told me that you cannot launch "boats" there. I told him it's a kayak. He said that's a boat. I inquired about sail boards...he said they aren't boats. You'd think these guys would have something more constructive to do than argue semantics with a guy carrying a kayak down to the water at midnight in a National Park?

Next time, I'm telling him it's a sail-less sail board.

Walt, the sit in Old Town Loon 138 is amazingly stable. Yes, it's not a dual hulled yak like Jim-DE's (in the chat room last night, I informed him this was akin to having training wheels wink.gif) It's very stable, it's very quick and easy to paddle. I've been working on storage inside. At the moment, here's the drill. Immediately behind me is the life vest (for when I'm not wearing it), it's reachable without even turning around, just sticking my arm back there can grab it. Behind that is my anchor (till I'm ready to use it) In front of me, I have my fly bag (quite LARGE, has 8 fly boxes, 3 spare spools, bunch of leader spools, extra lines, sink tips, pliers, oil, spare batteries, sharpener, etc) That slides way up front, but the strap stays reachable by just leaning forward. Then my shooting basket...I tired the bunjy thing in front of me, but it made it tough to fish, it's better off on the floor. Then to my left is my triple fly rod/reel padded case. It holds three rigged rods, with reels, up to 9 1/2' long safely...it's tough, the rods are actually inside thick walled PVC tubing, all padded and zippered. That'll sit to my left, next to my seat. Water bottle...in the water bottle holder in the front of the seat between my thighs...or when fishing, to my right, outta the way.

Sounds crowded, it's not...I still have room to stretch my legs out around the shooting basket, lots of room. All this stuff and this thing still goes real quick real easy. I'm very satisfied with it and look forward to millions of new adventures in the yak!

As to sit on top....I dunno, what sounds safer in the cold fall/spring waters, "on top" or "inside" biggrin.gif

TimS

WEll guys, I took a close up of the explorer today and it was ok.

The pungo ANGLER was impressive (very near the loon 138). Comes somewhat dressed for the fisherman , cool little anchor 1 1/2lb cwm25.gif

but was close to the loon. $699 plus paddle and car rack.

The loon is deffenitly NICE. I espically like the idea of the 3 cell sandwich foam. Kind of makes the unit feel like fiberglass. Cost If I remember right was bout $469. Plus paddle and car rack. Goin to be a tight decision but am leaning toward the loon 138 cwm20.gif

I would really like to get the yak with the training wheels on it But, can't have it all.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I got to test ride these two cwm35.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 08-13-2000).] cwm35.gif

[This message has been edited by Swfly (edited 08-13-2000).]