Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Seal Skins Gloves & Socks

13 posts in this topic

Best gloves ive found for cold weather yakin are the cabelas thinsulate/gortex hunting gloves. They will keep your hands dry and toasty warm for hours unless you submerge them beyond the wrist. Very light and flexible. Insulates your hand from the cold paddle shaft. The problem with thick wetsuit gloves is they tire your hands real quik. Only a couple of brands of neoprene are worth looking at #1 Oneill#2 Billabong

Barrell

What do seals know abt gloves anyway? Those look pretty good, though.

I have 6 or 7 mm divers neoprene which would be warm but unbearable for paddling, no way could you hold a paddle. I bought 3 mm neo paddling gloves which are usually fine but not good enough alone for this kind of weather. If you were a kayaker you'd be looking for pogies. And at Walmart they sell neoprene gloves by Ozark Trail with grip stuff on the palms that are under 10 bucks and probably just as good as the pair I paid 35 for. Large, loose pogies the ticket though, so you can get your hand in and out easily and maybe even with gloves on. But you don't have a drysuit so you aren't going out in this weather anyway, right?

Jim

Speaking of seals.I saw one at Glenn Island a couple of days before Xmas.

I saw the gloves in the new Cabelas catalog.Long gauntlet type go up to your elbow.

joev

Dunno about the gloves but I have used the Seal Skinz socks (the premium kind with the elasticised fold-over tops) and ALWAYS return to shore with a fully hydrated feet. I do not recommend them.

Does anyone know of a waterproof bootie I can wear under my dry pants? Wetsuit booties and sealskinz are not the answer to dry feet.

Saltatrix,

I don't know the rest of your gear but maybe look at a pair of mukluks. Calf high and waterproof.

For the record, I have Gators socks. I think they are similar to Sealskinz and very wet.

Jim

JimW,

Any clue on where to start looking for mukluks? I'm got the idea this weekend that they would make a near-ideal boot for wearing over stocking foot waders. The cinch top would keep sand and gravel out really well.

Chris

Chris,

I bought a couple things from these guys, nice people, outfitters in Ely MN. Sometimes they're as cheap as you'll find but don't bet on it. My local boats shops have some Chotas but they're full retail too.

I have my eye on the 'brookies'

piragis northwoods

Jim