Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffblair

Rudder or not???????

4 posts in this topic

The Yak I am looking most at is the Tarpon, 16 ft, 28 inches wide sot. Should I or should I not blow an extra $145 for the rudder system? Tracking is good without it, but what about turning? I may put a riptide electric on it. A rudder might save me fumbling with the motor all the time. Opinions wanted...Cliff

A rudder will make that boat turn a lot easier, especially since you will probably be turning it flat most of the time. Get the rudder but learn to handle the boat without it, like anything mechanical it could fail when you really want it.

If you're considering a rudder, definately get it with the yak. To add one on a yak later is often a ***** and can be expensive. OK wants $240 for one on a Scupper TW. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How you fish and where relly dictates your ruddr needs. If you need to be able to turn tightly then it's a good tool. I have had them but don't anymore. My fishig style is more trolling and chasin bait. One thing is certain, learning to paddle without a rudder will make you a better paddler, sooner. Corrective stroking becomes second nature and unnoticable. I have a tarpon, no rudder, and with the thigh bands in place I can get that boat over on its edge to make a turn to where the side carry is getting wet. I like a clean deck and most of the time don't need a rudder. It's always a comprimise and that's why one yak can't do everything we want. I guess that's why there are four in my backyard and I sometimes have two with me when I head out. I bring one, get where I am going and wish I had the other. Never truly satisfied I guess. Good luck in your quest.