Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

1st Paddle Tarpon 120

20 posts in this topic

Went down to the CCK show here in Ct today.Got a chance to demo the new Tarpon 12 footer.Its great.Only dislike was the tupperware kinda of hatches.I think a heavy tacklebox could knock them off if ya flipped it.Only bad thing I saw or felt.Great speed and stabilty.Turned great.But the speed amazed me.Wished they would have made a model with the hatch in back instead of the tank well.Also would have liked to see how it handles the waves.Gonna get one for my son he liked it too.The rep said they are coming out with a 8 and 10 ft version for smaller people and kids.8 ftr around 300 bucks.

Also paddled the 10 ft Pungo that was nice also.

WS new plastic is a winner.Shiny and very smooth the are using it on all the new yaks.Checked out the Pungo 14 and 12 with the bulkhead in it.That was nice.They could have made the rear hatch cover a little bigger though.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Is the 12' tarpon available yet?Do you know how much retails gonna be?My birthdays this week and I'm gonna try and get mommy(I mean my wife)to buy me a new one!

Rich

[This message has been edited by RichSmith (edited 10-06-2002).]

How does the Tarpon 120 performance compare to a std Pungo and 16'Tarpon.Im looking forward to trying the new Pungo's and Tarpons myself.I enjoy paddeling just for fun when the fishin is slow.Particularly in rough conditions.So i was thinking maybe getting a 16'or 12' Tarpon for the unsinkable/easy reentry,SPEED.But i dont want to give up the excellent tracking and manuverability i have with the Pungo.I like the idea of the Pungo 140 but was disapointed to see they left the 55" cockpit.Id heard they were going to be a bit smaller opening.

Bernie Having owned a Pungo .I can tell ya the 12 Tarpon seemed faster.Stability was great.Not as fast as the 16 but real good for a short yak.I would definatley check it out.Still wouldnt trade in my 16 Tarpon yet.

JoeV

------------------

Bob Welcome to the board .Its great to see another CT Yak guy.Hope ya start posting on the CT Forum.

Looks like you can get a 2 piece in there.Foot well tapers down quick might make the angle tuff for a 1 piece.

16 Tarpon swallows them whole Put my 8 6 rod in there no problem.

Hope to see ya on the CT Forum.

JoeV

------------------

Seriously considering purchasing a Tarpon next season, but I have one question since reading this thread. I see some mentioned stroing a rod "in the hull" of a Tarpon. Basically, I interpret this statement as storing the rod or rods below the cockpit thru an access hatchway. correct?

Thanks

rwolson, yes through the hatches. The Tarpon 160 swallows gear including rods. I can easily put a fully rigged 11' surf rod inside the hull of the larger Tarpon. Rods inside are best for extras and launching through the surf.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net