Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hightidetom

Fishing from waverunners

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone out there tried fishing from a waverunner? I personally never liked the folks who drive them wildly all around my good fishing areas but if used properly with respect to other fishermen it seems they would be a good one man fishing vehicle. I had a guy take me out on one(first time ever driving one) in the Florida Keys and he took me to a flat right off of seven mile bridge quickly so we could cast to Bones and Permit all when we only had 1 hour to fish. It seemed very stable while casting a fly rod and was much quicker than paddeling a Kayak and much cheaper than a boat. I'm thinking of renting one for a couple of hours on Cape Cod this summer and give it a try. It also seems to be useful on Lakes in shallow water coves where a boat can't go.

Hightidetom,

I've given it more than a fair share of thought. In the gulf of mex., local southern citizens (I'm trying to avoid the "r"-word) taxi one another to oil rigs 7 to 15 miles offshore, climb up the grid and vertically fish with 50# test tackle for snapper, grouper, cobia, AJ, etc.

If the storm comes, they can haul off much faster than any boat.

For your region though I'd probably want to take a drift sock along. These 12 ft 3-person rigs are by far more stable than any kayak. Let us know how it went!!

One of my concerns about getting a personal water craft is that a lot of areas are becoming off limits to them. For the most part for good reason. That's why I have become interested in the Mokai, although it might be classified in the same catagory because of the engine.

Hightidetom, I have been jet-ski fishing for about 7 years now. I have [2] two seat Sea-doo's rigged up. To me they have all the benifits of a yak, minus the paddling. The only thing you dont have is the ability to use them in the dark. I fish the Raritan bay, Shrewsbury and Navisink rivers and the ocean up here,[Monmouth Co. and all over Great Bay ,Corsens inlet and the Ocean down there. Setting them up was easy. I built a small platform that clamps to the rear of the ski's. It holds a medium sized cooler, and has 2 stainless steel adjustable rod holders on each side. I do very well when fishing from them. I have had a few inshore grand slam day's and a few with False albicore to boot. When drifting, all you do is turn around on the seat and face backwards. When trolling, I just kill the engine and grab the rod smile.gif .If you do a search here on jet ski fishing ,you may get a few more hits.

Have fun

Jim

Thanks Jim for your reply. It certainly seems that waverunners might be a low cost alternative to boats and without paddeling in Kayaks, especially when windy, for all types of fishermen. I wonder if the manufactures of them forsee the future marketing towards the fishing industry

I once knew someone who was very stoked up about fishing from the Mokai because he was too much of a Scaredy Woos to confront the realities of paddling.

Well... flats of NW FLA are renowned for lumps of eelgrass, debris and misc. trash floating around, and water intake took only minutes to become clogged. Loud revv-ups, no go.

This forced this star-cursed operator to solicit suckers for the operation known as grasshole-cleanup. I wasn't into it at all, just laughing fom the safe distance...

JBreese1, I may fabricate some rodholder to keep the rod secure while driving.

At the typical rental place, what would be features to look for in a model? I am reluctant to play with 2 strokes due to stench of oil, but they ae so widespread due to low maintenance costs and resilience to tourist abuse.