Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Largo Boy

Before I cut any holes...

13 posts in this topic

I am a relatively new yakker and I paddle/fish a WS Tarpon. I don't want to store tackle in either hatch as it is somewhat laborious to access these. I have been toying with the idea of installing a milk crate tackle box on board. For those of you familiar w/the tarpon, just forward of the cockpit there is a small "platform" designed to accept a compass. My idea is to install a flush rod holder at this location.

(dont think I'll have a need for a compass-if I do I'll get a small GPS)Then I get the heaviest-duty milk crate i can find, somehow add a solid panel to the inside bottom of the create and install a what is called a universal gimbal to the center-outside bottom of the crate. These are typically used to install a downrigger temporarily in a rod holder. Next I install a lid cut to size out of starboard or similar material and attach it with S/S hinges and latch/lock to create a top for my "tackle box". When completed the gimbal slides into the rod holder. Some kind of leash or retainer will be necessary in case of a dump, but that should be fairly easy to do. I think this crate could serve as a platform for a fish finder, some more rod holders etc... I know the Cobras have that hatch in the cockpit so access to storage is pretty easy but I think I my brainstorm will work allright. But before I cut any holes in my yak, I would love some feed back from you guys. Any opinions or other solutions to easy-access tackle storage?? Thanks fellas-

Ed

Rumor has it that WS is comming out with a replacement rear hatch cover for the Tarpon that will simulate a tank well. Last I heard, this is due out sometime in August.

Before you cut any holes, call WS and confirm their plans & time frame. That mod could save you a lot of time and trouble.

-Ed

------------------

flyak

Don't have a Tarpon but was at JonS' house while he was rigging up one. There's a slanted area meant to hold a water bottle. Here he was planning to keep a hard tackle box that opens from the top(don't know the make or model but I think pmjasper has one). Think it holds the plano stowaway type boxes. He also mounted Ram mount rod holders on the inside hump of where your feet go.

I forget if he was able to have both at the same time. I'd wait til he gets back and he can tell you how it worked out.

Forget about spending good $ for Starboard to make a top for your milk crate. Just cut the bottom off another milk crate and hinge with zip ties. Rig a latch with a clip so nothing falls out if you dump.

Credit for this idea goes to Flounder.

Bob- Jon has helped quite a bit already. I'll certainly take it up w/him soon. Theres also a molded in "tray" for lack of a better word that seems to be for something specific. I emailed WS with no response. Do any Tarpon owners know what its for ??? I got the crate idea from a west coast site

called socal****.com Pretty cool site.

Hey Scoopster- no pockets in my waders!!! I wear that w/a dry top. Although I just ordered a vest that holds 2 small plano boxes in front & 1 large pocket on the back. That w/SOSpenders should be a good match. Waddaya think?

hey largo,

why not install a small cooler instead of a milk crate, i did that with my scupper pro tw and store all my fishing gear, radio etc, and sometimes even use it as a cooler, everything stays dry

LargoBoy...."dont think I'll have a need for a compass". Yes you will. GPS is good but is only if you have power. A simple compass does not need to be recharged or have power. Pick one up put it in the yak and it will be there if you need it.

Hey Scoopster- no pockets in my waders!!! I wear that w/a dry top. Although I just ordered a vest that holds 2 small plano boxes in front & 1 large pocket on the back. That w/SOSpenders should be a good match. Waddaya think?

sounds like it would work to me ...

Largo Boy I also own a Tarpon.I usally keep 1-2 lures in that tray area.I also keep a couple of 3700 Plano boxes in the rear hatch area.I just sit side saddle and access the rear hatch.Takes just a minute to get at them

The lures I keep on the deck are what I think I will be using in the spot I am in.Usally I keep a swimmer ,jig,and a topwater.One is always rigged on the rod.If I need to get more I switch lures by accessing the rear hatch.Just practice accessing the hatch in shallow water till you get the hang of it.Its really easy.

I would hesitate to mount anything on top of the hatches as it will increase your area to the wind .This will make you drift faster .Wich is bad .Also if you dont have a rudder it will make it harder to steer in a cross wind.I try to keep as little stuff as possible on the deck.If I bring a second rod and know I wont be using it I keep it in the front hatch.Then when I need it I just pull into shore and access it.

If you really think about it.

How many lures do you really need to use in a outing ?I have a ton of stuff but usally use only a few.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

Thanks to all for your replies and comments.

Looks like I'll hold off and think about it some more AND practice accessing the rear hatch (good points joev). Salty you're right I may need a compass but I probably wont mount it permanently the the boat I think I have a handheld from my scouting days.

Largo,

I'm with you on storing stuff in the hatch. I don't like to either. I've been strapping a small tackle box behind the seat of my explorer and found this to be a little easier to access then diggin' in my hatch for a new lure! I do however still store my anchor, drift sock and water in the hatch. Alot of times I'll just leave a plano box out on the deck if I'm changing lures often. I know I shouldn't but I still do. I may have to figure out a way to tether the box just in case. As always, paddle before you do any drilling. My set-up still changes with just about every outing. biggrin.gif and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon..smile.gif

One thing I would like to see from everyone is your anchor setup. I guess I'll just start a new thread for this...