Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Safety-thinking it through

1 post in this topic

I had a "correct" thought this morning when putting the yak in and thought I'd share, just to help shake off the cobwebs. Not tooting my own horn here, I'm as guilty as others about not thinking it through!

CHECK YOUR SAFETY GEAR OUT AFTER A WINTER OFF!!!

Put in the boat, walked down the tackle, paddle, etc. Went up to put on clothes and threw my PFD on. I went to put my car keys in the PFD pocket and the zipper is stuck-no big deal. The other pocket zipper is stuck too. Damn! So I gets to thinking-my compass, whistle, and last resort knife are in that pocket. SO, JOHN, wanna be out there flailing around and not be able to get to that stuff in a hurry? So instead of just going, I end up dabbing motor oil off the dipstick to free it up. I was ready to pack up and go home!

I was in a spot where I would never be 75 feet from dry land in any direction. Glass water, little breeze, not a chance for weather. What was bugging me though, is the thought of how almost all accidents happen. The big catastrophe is rare! Its the series of little goofs that make a situation slowly worse and worse and worse.....You know the deal.

Look your stuff over.

All that for one 14" twink and about 4 "Ya shoulda been heah yesterday"s!