Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Breezy Kid

Trolling Flies with Spining Tackle??

7 posts in this topic

Never got around to trying it, but i figured a small egg sinker rigged carolina style w/ a fly would work. I was gonna try the reliable clouser. That would have some action on it's own when the trolling action changed pace.

Now I just stick w/ the fly rod when out in the yak

To Breezy Kid,

I have not trolled with spinning tackle with a fly but I have trolled with my fly rod with sinking line and have done well either here on the western south shore or Little neck bay or Montauk. I usually use Clousers with big eyes and probably get down 4-5ft. I hope this helps.

Rudy

The same question was asked in the yak gear thread. It's gettin some responses. I'm lookin to try it this year. Fireline then a long length of fluoro and the fly. I'll let you know how I make out.

The suggestion of a weight before the fly is the way to go. You could add a sliding sinker rig, then use more or less weight to get the fly down to ther correct depth. Even a Clouser will ride high when being trolled. With fly rodders we get the fly down with the line on a short leader but trolling with a fly on a spinning rod you'll need some weight.

Only if they're attached. I tend to think that if you put an inline sinker at the junction of your running line and a fluorocarbon leader that you would get much better action from the fly. This takes you back to the point TimS made (on another thread) about all the minute little eddies that occur behind your boat as you paddle.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 02-28-2002).]