Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob Clarke

Sit in or sit on?

5 posts in this topic

Can some of you more experienced yakkers give me your thoughts on this subject? I demo'ed a Savannah, not sure of the maker, and I liked it a lot but it was a bit confining. I also read about a tandem sit-in this weekend that was advertised as an excellent single person fishing kayak with one of the seats removed.

I like the layout of the Tarpon but I'm not sure about the sit-ons.

Thanks

Rob

i prefer sitons for fishing. you can carry more gear and scramble back on top easily. sitins are faster, but more difficult to get back in. also when i fish rough water here in the pacific i can wrap my legs around it like a horse and jig the bottom. the tarpon 16 is a very fast siton.

i think it would be an excellent choice for a regular sized angler on calm water. i am 6'3"

and heavy i chose the new bimini by perception. it is a little slower, but the seat and footwells are very deep, therefore it is more stable. i fished on a nekke cruiser for five years, it was small but i caught almost 1000 stripers and other assorted fish from it.

i prefer sitons for fishing. you can carry more gear and scramble back on top easily. sitins are faster, but more difficult to get back in. also when i fish rough water here in the pacific i can wrap my legs around it like a horse and jig the bottom. the tarpon 16 is a very fast siton.

i think it would be an excellent choice for a regular sized angler on calm water. i am 6'3"

and heavy i chose the new bimini by perception. it is a little slower, but the seat and footwells are very deep, therefore it is more stable. i fished on a nekke cruiser for five years, it was small but i caught almost 1000 stripers and other assorted fish from it.

A sit-in will feel more stable and you can get a spray skirt to keep you dry. It is true you will lose storage space, especially with a spray skirt.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with, keep demoing different models. If you go out in rough water, far from shore, go with a sit-on, easier to get back on when you flip. If not, a sit-in might work well (especially in cold weather).