Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomh

Raritan bay slaughter

25 posts in this topic

Fished raritan bay just south of Keyport about 500 yards off of "Peeble Beach". Sated fishing about 6:00 pm at loe tide. Caught 10 wekfish all keepers, and 3 stripers, one keeper, one 22 incher and another short on black bomber reeled in real slow. Pissed offthe guys in boats. Lot of bunker in water. Would have caught many more but forgot pliers and net, wasted alot of time struggling to get bomber free from fish. Bought berkley lip gripper an deedle nose pliers today to avoid same mistake, bay was flat as a pond Will go out again this weekend, hope boaters don't spook them. No other kayakers in sight. Ex-kayaker in boat gave me tip on where fish were an how to fish, remember reel in slow or trool slow!!!!

This is my first of many post , hope to see you guys out there!!!! sick of stange and dirty looks from boaters

Welcome to the board!!! HappyWave.gifNice job on the fish. Surprised to see weakies out this early, but is welcome news.Hope you enjoy this board and can attend some of the flings.

C'ya around!

Welcome to the board tomh. HappyWave.gif

Great report - one of these days I'll get around to putting my yak in down there.

Lots of good helpfull people on this site and they're always having a "fling" some where. smile.gif

Hope to see you around.

Great report Tom and welcome to the forum. What size were the weaks? Tiderunners? I'll probably be there tonight. I'll be paddling a blue Cobra Tourer. What are you paddling?

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-19-2002).]

To jons:

I won't be out tonight but sometime over the weekend. I have a teal OC Scupper Pro TW. The weakies where aroun 16-20 inches. hope to see you out there.

Tom, thanks for the info. I'm surprised at the small size of the weaks. Usually the early ones are the tiderunners. 4 pounds plus. I guess that they're around the corner and should be showing anytime now.

Jon...Watch out for the T-storms they're predicting tonight. I'm headed that way tomorrow to troll some plugs for stripers, weakies and maybe bluefish. Talk to you later.

Weakfish were in the upper teens yesterday, bluefish 10lbs+ and bass past 30". My friend was there and that is what he caught. I went back for the drop and one mid size weakfish but the bait guys were catching some nice fish. The bait guys were all over the place and thought they owned the beach. Walking past one to fish another area I was asked..."want me to hold your hand out to the spot?" I've fished this are for the past 15 years and in the past couple years the people have more than tripled and their attitude is terrible. Plus the amount of garbage is staggering! I've never seen the place look so bad that's even with the Fresh Kills land fill open! A sign of the times.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 04-19-2002).]

SALTH2OFLY, take the kayak next time and leave them on the shore.

Are you hitting there today?

pmjasper, when are you going?

jenty has a new yak and wants to play this afternoon. I'll have to check the tides.

Jon...I'm leaving for Union Beach at around 10 a.m. I'm probably gonna launch in the little creek on the east side of the beach and then i'm dropping my friend off at the sod banks. tide is in around 2 or so and as long as the wind stays down i'm ready to go. Maybe i'll see you there.

I would have but I made arragements with Hugh to fish from shore. I did get a 10lb+ bluefish though and there were fewer bait guys. I worked on my yak dolly (see the post about the Home Depot). I headed to Pete's Sport to see if you were there and give me some insight but I had a family thing to do. I'll keep you posted on the fishing.

Hey PMjasper, were you out near Pebble Beach this afternoon (Sat)? I saw a kayaker out there and I'm wondering if it was you. Saw a guy out there in a yellow yak and black paddle (dark anyways). At around 5:30 or so he was moving from west to east and disappeared around the point to Union Beach. When I arrived there was a guy walking out with a large weakfish. On the bank was a mess of large bluefish all gutted of their filets.

Leo...that must have been me. I was out there in my yellow Fish N' Dive (blue paddle). Got a couple of hits, but nothing to show for it. Gotta try tommorrow...

MarkM, it kept raining off and on so I didn't head down. Jenty has a new yak and wants to go out. He's only been out once in a pond last summer. Again thinking the afternoon and I'll know more later today.

Leo...I was out at Union Beach yesterday but in a white yak with black paddle. it was a slow day but i had 2 stripers on (and lost) and two bluefish (one caught 9-10 lbs and one lost 12 to 15, a real monster). Went by Cliffwood Beach today but too windy to really do anything.