Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yak Attack

Drift Sock ?

8 posts in this topic

I received a couple of drift socks For Christmas.santa.gif I was wondering what size opening compared to boat length others are using. I have a Scupper Pro TW at 14.9 Feet. The drift socks I got are 28 inches. I was looking in Cabela's to see what they figure for size. They recommend a 17 inch Diameter for a boat up to sixteen feet. They list the 29 inch for a 20-22 foot boat. So, are these socks way to big for my application???? Oh all yea drift sock gurus please enlighten mebiggrin.gif

I don't know yak, unless you're drifting fast or they are self opening, they may be more pain than they are worth. You might just try dragging your paddle to slow you down, but if it were my choice, go small or which ever stays open the best. ...hmmm as I sit here, wonder what a small piece of pvc witha bingee throught the center and a hole on each side would do as a make shift sock opener. Should be hard to cob something up, it could come apart and be rolled up in the sock when not in use. Let me know what you do? Scott

I have the smallest Cabelas which is the Bo-slo. It works great. You want the one for the smallest boats. Its simple to use and did I say that it works great. A drift sock is one of my most used accessories. When you need to use one there isn't a substitute. You'll never know how much you missed one until you own one.

I have the small Cabelas sock and had to use it the other day on Round Valley Reservoir to keep my drift down. Without it I woundn't have gotten anything. Definitely worth having.

My mistake, I just measured the opening by laying the sock flat and measured the mouth length, duh. Well considering the unit opens in a circle the opening will be much smaller. Here's my new and improved question. How do you get the circumference of a circle knowing the flat measurement is 29 inches? Quick math test!

Hey Yak!

I'm still on vacation so I refuse to use that side of my brain till classes resume on Wednesday!!!

As for the sock, I too use the small Cabela's(17 or 18 in.) and it works like a charm.

Jus t keep it tethered close to the yak so you don't foul your fishing line.

Also, since I flyfish for the most part, I like to cast directly to my objective rather than casting across the yak.

I cast off the starboard side.

With the current coming from port, I put the sock on the port side.

This allows the yak to turn enough so I am able to cast clearly off the right side.

I'm still not sure about an anchor though.

Good luck!

DASBOOT

I have the same one Jon has and its the nuts, when you want to move you just pull it up and jam it under your leg , I have mine mounted to a 9" bungee and a pulley to put it out back. Wind at your back when you cast life is good!!!!! Get one