Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeC

Heritage Kayaks

2 posts in this topic

Hi, this is my first post here. I live in N. Virginia and fish the Potomac river and Chesapeake bay as often as I can. I have been thinking about buying a yak for awhile now. I'm interested in what you guys may think about Heritage Kayaks. I have an opportunity to get one on a pro deal(half the retail price) from a friend in the yak industry. He is a whitewater guy so I'd like to hear from people who fish from yaks. It is the Heritage fishing model.

I've also been thinking about taking some whitewater classes to learn how to paddle. I thought this would be a good way to learn technique. Will this help with ocean and bay paddling?

I also notice a lot of you guys fish the Brigantine, NJ area. I fished up there for 4 days last summer and had the best flounder fishing I've ever experienced in my life. I will be back up in that area this year. I have a friend with a cottage on the island.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

MikeC

Mike, I purchased a Heritage last spring on pro form and no longer own it. Determine first what kind of fishing you'll be using it for. I felt that the Ospery would be the best choice in a fishing yak however Paul, the former owner and designer felt that the Sea Dart would be better. So I got the Sea Dart and quickly determined that it wasn't a good choice for the type of fishing I do. I fish rivers, some of which are quite small, lakes, ponds, back bays and launch through the surf. I fish all methods including fly fishing. The cockpit isn't very fly line freindly. I need a very versatile yak that manuevers well. The Sea Dart would be a great yak for the open bays and ocean where manueveruing isn't important. When covering distance it would be great. Great for flats fishing where many miles need to be covered and it would be used for access to areas which would then be waded.

Last year at an on water demo I tried a lot of kayaks. My favorite was the Cobra Explorer which I now own 2 of. My second choice was the Heritage Osprey. When Paul told me that he doesn't fish I knew that I should have gone with my instincts. Since I bought it on Pro Form it was easy to sell without loosing any money. If I had bought the Osprey I would still own it.

I don't feel that white water classes corolate to yak fishing IMHO. Just start out in sheltered waters and go with more experienced yak fisherman. Read "Kayak Fishing Secrets" at www.rbbsurf.com

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 05-12-2001).]