Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeadlyDickTosser

New or Used Kayak Help

7 posts in this topic

Im lookin for a new or used 'yak. Ive never had one or even really looked or seen one close up, so I may seem really clueless, which I am. First off, is there sucha thing as a 2 person kayak, Id probably end up brining my son, whos only 8, hes 5'7 120 lbs,and Im 6'4 220 lbs. Im was also wondering if theres any with motor, so I don't have to paddle. Also, is it possible to bring about 4 setups on these? And also, I like to keep a fluke or weak once in a while, and was wondering if theres room for a cooler, or do i use a stringer? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

----DDT

DDT, did you see the post by Barrell...that is where you should be! He'll have everything in the water so you can try them. This is the best way to do it or you can trust someone you know to steer you into a certain yak. But for now the in water show is the way to go.

I agree, hit the demo day and check them all out. It will be invaluable. I reccomend learning and not buying that day. Let it all sink in and ask questions afterwards. I'm going so I can paddle yaks I haven't been in yet.

DDT

Send me a PM with your #

I live in Bristol also.I have a extra yak if you want to try it out.Let me know.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

DDT, the non-paddling options have limited coverage. There are Mokai's , Kiwi Stealths, Cobra Fish n Dive, OK ambush, and one other that use's SIS kayaks and mounts an internal 2 hp weedwacker motor to a prop that the name excapes me now.

The Mokai and the Stealth I currently own. The Mokai is the ultimate in kayak hybrid transportation having a 5hp Honda jet drive system. The Stealth (which is for sale) is a definate #2 ranking due to stability to weight and the fact you can use either gas or electric power (I opted for a 46lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide for mine). Both have taken water conditions that a sain man wouldn't of gone out in and I am here to talk about it. I am 6' and 225lbs and have never rolled either. Infact you would have to intentionally try to roll either.

www.mokai.com

www.kiwikayak.com

You can see either of these hybrid kayaks at these sites.

Dick, Your 8 year old is ready for his own kayak. He wont want to be in Yours next year after he gains confidence. You can buy two yaks for the price of one top of the line double. If You cant make the demo You can always bring him down to Brig for a demo.

Barrell www.rbbsurf.com