Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomR

Fenagle a Fishing Trip

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Some of you guys don't seem to have any problems, but I can't go fishing whenever I want. My wife thinks there are more important things in the world than fishing. I managed to pull off a good maneuver this year. Our son wanted to go to beach week in Ocean City, Maryland and use my father's condo. Well dad wasn't born yesterday and my son isn't even as trustworthy as most 18 year olds. I volunteered to chaperone and make the sacrifice. He said no he would rather pay to rent a place. He went back to his friends and told them they would have to rent a place. Well a few days later our son comes back and said they want to go to dad's condo and accepted the conditions. Well I lucked out, what 18 year male wants their mother to go with them to the beach. All our friends thought it was great that I was willing to help out the kids. My wife knew better, but what could she say. She wanted our son to be able to go. The fishing was real good. We have another son who graduates this year and I hope he wants to go to beach week. After that I might try some short term adoptions.

How about the rest of you guys. How do you guys fenagle trips?

WOW i didnt even get past the

" more important things in life than fishing " .Where on Mars . Ok that said Ill continue reading .

Ok I read it all .

First I like John just have to let her know Im going fishing if the flak isnt so bad I fly out the door. If I get hit with too much flak I may not go . ( 17yrs married )My wife is great about me fishing . If you want you can adopt me and we can go stay in the condo for a week or 3 . Take your wife out fishing sometime make it a real easy trip and she may enjoy it . My wife will come when I fish in the day light ( which isnt too often) and hang in the sun with my daughters as I cover every inch of beach . If she is a sun worshipper this can work out great for you .

[This message has been edited by chris L (edited 12-19-2000).]

Tom, bet you wish I was your son. I'm 20 now and for the last um...let me think....19 years of my life i been asking to go fishing everyday. Here it is december and I'm trying my hardest to get a striper before i have to return to michigan. I'll fish any where any time and in any conditions. (except hurricanes, I find it a little to breezy). Anyway, I'm kinda reversed with you. My dad is the fairest of fair weather fisherman there is. If it's not sunny and 85 with winds gusting to 5mph out of the south, he won't go. I wish, i could find someone to go fishing with more often.

I just got married in July, and so far my wife has been pretty good...I am 3 hours away from the sea, and thats cuts down on a lot of fishing right there...when I get an opportunity, she usually lets me go no problem..if she has plans made, however, I am SOL (the other kind) SHe goes with me when I charter on vacation too...she had fun with some small dorado in Aruba this year, and we tag teamed a small blue marlin in Cozumel last year.(I gave it to her first, then finished it off. It was released.) If I could only get her to put some waders on.

Oh, and jewelry helps too.

Dave

Once I get done school and move closer to the water, however, it might be a different story. With kids in the near future, and starting a new profession, I am gonna have to move closer to the water just to keep the scales even. I figure as long as I keep up with the Honey Do list, spend some quality time with the wife and kids, things will be ok. Family always comes first, but a man's gotta fish. He's just gotta.

[This message has been edited by marlinman (edited 12-19-2000).]

I go about 1-3 times a week from march through now. Usually once during the week at night and a morning trip on a weekend. I like to think I am pulling one over on my wife and try and get her to say "you should go fishing"...I talk about the wind, the tides, the moon phase, recent reports. She often suggests that I go, but I'm not fooling anyone. She is just good to me. biggrin.gif

I have to say she doesn't mind the night trips at all. It's the morning trips that she dislikes because she likes to sleep in on the weekends and I usually get up with the kids on the weekend. I hate sleeping in. It leaves me grumpy all day.

So all in all it works out well. More and more I am becoming an exclusive night fisherman which isn't so bad for this warped addiction.

Basically I'm about the same as JohnM my wife Carrie is a saint she nows that I could be doing worse like sitting in some bar giving out singles to half naked women but I'd rather go and get cold going after a striped bass so she usually has no problem letting me go. Also I trained her before I married her biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (or is that the other way around)

hope this helps

Mike Apter

I don't get out as much as I want; however, I do learn that whenever I walk out that door with my rod. I throw my hand in the air and yell out "FREEDOM" like Braveheart.

1. Marry a girl who fishes (when she starts telling you stories about fishing for flounders with her grandfather, in February, in a snowstorm, on a Captree party boat, consider it a very positive sign).

2. Offer to take her when you go (she may not go on every trip--probably not on most, maybe not even on many, if you're hard-core--but she'll know you're not trying to duck out on her)

3. Every now and again during the season, make it a point to pay attention to her and make it clear you're not fishing in your free time (the fact that large swells won't let your boat out of the inlet anyway, that the fish have been scarce lately or that you're not in the mood to put up with the summer tourist crowds doesn't matter--the thought does)

4. Go on a vacation--preferably during the off-season--where fishing isn't the only activity (remember that you live on the coast, where most people go for vacation, so in a very real way, you're on vacation most of the year, and can fish the night beaches while the tourists sleep--also remember that a vacation built around hiking, photography, etc. doesn't exclude fishing completely, and over the years she may tally up more sails and snook than you do).

5. Be mindful of her feelings, and ask if she minds. If you married the right girl, the answer will be "no,go ahead" but she'll appreciate the gesture. (Remember the moral of a section in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales--I believe it was the Wife of Bath's Tale--a woman likes to be given "sovereignty," but if a man gives it freely, she'll give it right back to him.)

Well, I have it pretty good but, yes, I am still complaining. I, too, am a newlywed. But she loves fishing (not as much as I do but...)and we have a blast together doing the sweetwater thing all year long. We even bought a small Tracker bass boat. But she hasn't caught onto the "surf thing" yet and not sure she will - settin' yer butt on a casting seat or standing on deck all day is one thing, walking miles in the sand is another!

We're working like dogs and saving for a house so I've been restricted a bit this season. "Fishing vs overtime at one of several jobs" = me working instead of fishing.

Actually, my sweetie enjoys fishing too much! I usually get crap because I have a day off or time to go AND SHE DOESN'T ! Who woulda thunk it??

But she knows it's in my blood and will forever be my passtime of choice, if not my profession someday(gotta have dreams right?)

I know I have it good when we discussed vacationing in Key West and she said, "well, we have to drive so we can hit Lake Okechobee on the way back!"

She's by far the best keeper I've ever landed.

Thanks babe wink.gif

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

JeffB

Tricks to finding a women who won't mind you fishing, and landing her.

1) Get in good with the family, take her dad fishing, if your lucky he'll like it. If your luckier he'll suggest you go again. If you luck out, he'll alread enjoy fishing as much as you do, so when it's time for her dad and myself to "bond" we pick up a fishing rod and go.

2) Take her fishing. Start small, fish where no know she will catch alot (panfish). Bait the hook for her and take the fish off for her. Most important..... LET HER CATCH MORE FISH.... if you lucky, she'll ejoy it and you'll score points, if your luckier, she'll find herself baiting her own hook and taking off her own fish. (she has become a fisherman, so to speak at this point) If your really a lucky SOB they'll be no bite and you have to find a way to pass the time...Did I mantion fish in a very secluded area.

3) Last and Best way to get a women like this. Ask her what bait/lure she's using when you see her pulling in twice as much fish as you at your favorite fishing spot.

She already fishes, She's good at it, and Maybe you can learn a thing or from her. (rod control...ect)

4) TO ALL WOMEN.... If you fish you should have No, i repeat No trouble landing a man.