Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elph

Getting my first yak, need opinions...

10 posts in this topic

I work at a Gander Mountain store, the employees get wholesale minus 35% on Preception Kayaks, and I'm thinking about getting a Preception Illusion 14.0.

It's originally 759 dollars, I can get mine for 350.

Has anyone paddled one of these? I'm more concered about stability than speed, I will be doing alot of freshwater fishing in it, probably no salt.

I can also get heavy discounts on Old Town and a few other brands, no Tarpons though. Suggest somthing if you don't think the Illusion is a good kayak.

I'm not really looking for the be-all-end-all kayak, just a good one that will serve it's purpose.

Danke.

Like the above response says. You wont loose money at that price. What you need to be concerned with is your wheight vs the yaks width.

What might cause problems is if you are a realy big dude.

Barrell

No, get ti. Use it, if it's not quite right, sell it. You will not be disappointed with the perception line. they may be a bit slow in the design lead, but they make quality constructed yaks. My swing was the driest yak I ever had(inside the yak). Scott

elph, How wide is it? Recommended wheight limits are sometimes overrated sometimes underrated. There must be someone on this site who has personal experience with this yak.

barrell

mmmmm...like bimini...a little weighty, but good for side saddle and another fine perception yak. Can't go wrong, get the rudder if you can. S