Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Yak Rack??

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a way to transport three yaks on my '90 full size Bronco. I've come to realize that the fiberglass rear of my Bronco ('90 full size) will likely crack under the weight and vibration if I use a standard type of roof rack.

I'd like to have this thing ready for the spring season, but I have no idea how to solve this problem. Help!

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

With vehicles like yours I've seen guys use the standard rack feetn for the cab area and then get a set that are bolted to the fiberglass section. That was for skis and I don't know about putting 150-180#s up there.

I've been digging for info on the weight issue and the answer that keeps coming back is that I risk cracking the fiberglass roof with a standard rack.

There must be a system that either wraps around the body of the vehicle or attaches through a rear receiver hitch.

------------------

Sudsy, I know of neither. You could have a system made for the hitch but it wouldn't be cheap.

Another option is a kayak trailer. They sell them on ebay all the time. They're under $400 and will usually carry 2-4 kayaks. That may turn out to be your only solution.

Since nobody else has responded to this post tells me that there aren't any ideas.

Also try posting on paddling boards. Guys have been transporting yaks for a while, before all us fisherman got the idea to use them.

Nobody has any ideas? HA! We're just too lazy to post them. smile.gif

Here's mine: Get yourself some epoxy and fiberglass and make some custom alterations to the top.

Option 1: mold in a grid of reinforcement to the underside (inside) of the top. Get some extruded polystyrene and cut little triangles (1" on a side +/-) to the length you need, then epoxy and fiberglass over these. This should strengthen the top more than enough to carry several hundered pounds up there if you do a reasonably regular grid (16" - 24" on center) and fasten to/through the ribs you create.

Option 2: Fabricate custom mounts from epoxy/'glass and stick 'em right onto the top. Use a couple layers of glass (increasing sizes, say 12" square, 16" square, then 24" square) to spread the load over a larger area of the top.

Things to watch out for: You'll want to remove the existing paint/gelcoat and roughen the surface with sandpaper (60 or 80 grit) for optimal bonding. Any exposed epoxy should be protected from UV rays; paint or varnish w/ a UV inhibitor work fine. Take extra care to ensure that there is no air in the matrix and keep the epoxy/'glass ratio as low as possible (i.e., don't "float" the glass in too much epoxy, it makes for a weak matrix).

Best of luck,

Chris

Oops, seems that we were posting at the same time. Very cool link there. I don't need it for either of my current boats but I sure can see some potential uses for the thing. I wonder how adjustable it is in terms of length (distance from the receiver to the up-turn) and height.

Chris

I have a 89 Bronco and put a roofrack from JCWhitney on it. It extends to the edge fo the top for the most support. I bolted it through w/ large soft washers on the inside to spread the strain around. I haul a Loon 120 aound on it and have hauled my old Loon 160; twice the weight. Never had a problem so far. Been on two years now.

Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Hey guys,

I thought about the hitch racks but have only seen those for a single boat. I also thought about inside reinforcement but was thinking this could be messy, would work better if it was a cap, not passenger space. My only original thought is maybe you can modify the racks they use on soft top jeeps. These have fittings that bolt on the outside body sheetmetal which in turn support posts for the racks. The racks they sell for jeeps would obviously be 2-3 ft too narrow but seems could be modified or fabricated easily by a welder. Cheapest would be reinforce the glass, I would glass over foam to form it up.

Jim

Sudsy, all You need is the money to buy a yakima system,including yak stacker.We have been selling them for years no cracks. You need top loader brackets with plus nuts if your truck is real nice. Or just get them with regular bolts if you dont mind the nuts showing on the inside. Then atach a regular gutter mount tower and some 72 or 78 inch bars. See everything at www.yakima.com or e-mail me and ill send you a catalog. With this setup You can cary 6 or 8 yaks. It is a bit of a pain to put them on that high in the air. I use my tailgate to handle the back straps and a two step rubbermaid stool for the front.

Barrell

You mean a rack like this?

100-0097_img.jpg

Could be really great, but as Barrell pointed out, it might not be necessary and the connection points...

101-0104_img.jpg101-0101_img.jpg

would both be very hard to replicate. The first picture shows the front post attached at the windshield hinge and the Bronco won't have nearly as solid a point at that location. The second shows a cool bracket which curves over the rear bumper and connects straight to the end of the frame. If one decided that they had to have a rack like this for a Bronco, I'd recommend starting from scratch. For the soft top Jeep, there is no better way to go (plus, all the pieces are either stainless steel or aluminum).

Chris

Wow, I think I'd better wash my buggy before I take more pictures, eh?

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 02-11-2002).]

I've been trying to find the style of rack that fits around the outside of the body and bolts into the frame, not unlike what's on your Jeep. Does anyone remember the TV show Doktari (sp?)?

------------------