Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clam-n-Eggs

E-tex problem

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I must have used the incorrect ratio when mixing up some e-tex and still has not dried after 48 hrs. the leftover in the mixing cup is still pourable as it never set-up. Will it dry eventually or should i wipe it off my plugs and start over?

It won't dry, if it's really wet you can probably wipe it off with denatured alcohol, you may take the paint off with it. If its just tacky you could probably recoat with the proper mixture and it will be fine.

are you using a scale or counting drops? the small batch scale that west marine sells is a great tool. a bit pricey but it helps a lot when mixing some of the 5/1 type epoxies.

good luck

You have to be PERFECT in your measurement and PERFECT in your mixing or you're just going to make a mess of it.

Eyedropper method is popular, as is the measured medicine cup cup method (what I do). I even darken the marks I'm going to with a sharpie so as not to screw it up.

Either way, mix for the full two minutes while scraping the sides and bottom.

I'm new to Etex. I've been using devcon and could get away with being imprecise in my measurements. In fact, I used to eyeball it most times. But I've seen how much better e-tex looks and I switched over. Admittedly, i was careless in my measurements. i used a medicine measuring cup but i must have screwed up somewhere. I mixed thoroughly for 2+ minutes and scraped the bottom and sides.

So now I know i have to be exact. Will probably use the two cup method and ensure all contents are transfered over to one and combined. I really appreciate the input.:)

Yeah i use two marked medicine cups and I set them on my scale to make sure, mix very well, and let sit for a few minutes and most all bubbles come to surface. Havnt had a problem yet with it. Also it does help to keep the temperature of the room warm enough too. I try and have the shed around 75, if it's colder then 70 it's hard to get the bubbles out, but if it's nice and warm in the room they come right out.

I mean, you don't have to go crazy, but just pay attention to the measuring cups, and make sure you're measuring on a flat surface. I've messed up before, because the cup was resting on a little dried epoxy that tilted the cup.

Funny thing is that i thought i was pretty darn close, but not perfect, in my measurements. I attempted to be more precise than my old "eyeball" method. Like I said,, I must of messed up somewhere because its still as wet now as it was on Friday. But i have no doubt that i mixed it thoroughly.

ive recovered such nightmares by using the 5 minute devcon epoxy over top, ive never had the yellowing issue that most encounter with quick drying, maybe im just lucky.. whiping ends up a mess..

You should also pour the etex out onto a plate before applying. All my problems went away once I started doing that. Sometimes your brush picks up unmixed epoxy from the sides of your mixing cup.