Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianR

Newbie Questions / Upcoming Outer Banks Trip

6 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm completing a CLC Mill Creek 16.5, and I'm about to outfit it for fishing. Then, I'm headed to the outer banks (Corolla) for a family vacation, to wet this baby! So, some questions:

I'm probably going to use the flush mount rod holders from cabelas with the snap on cover, and the rod holders which snap into the flush mount fixture, then pop up when you retrieve your pole. My question: Where should I place that? In front of me, or in back?

Second: I have no idea what kind of fishing to do in Corolla, where to go, what to use, etc. - any thoughts or pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks all.

Oh yeah - why can't I see any of the photos on the photo page?

Brian, welcome to the forum. I can't tell you much about OBX as I've never fished there. There are some regulars on the forum who should be able to help.

As to the rod holders, I don't know of anyone using the type that you describe. Things popping and releasing don't sound good to me. Keep in mind that a kayak is not a boat. I wouldn't outfit one like a boat either. As to where to put a rod holder that's personal. For storage I like them behind me, but for trolling I like them in front. So I have both on my kayaks.

BrianR. Welcome. As far as rigging your yak goes,talk to JonS. He can also get you everything you need.

For the OBX, I'm going to Corolla the last week in August and am trying to get some info. The May/June issue of Fly Fishing in Saltwater's cover story was fishing for Redfish in the OBX sound. Looked perfect for yak fishing(shallow and flat).I called the Outer Banks Fly Shop (252-480-3474) and they said there are Reds and Seatrout anong other's that time of year. Even if you don't flyfish you might want to check them out, since they run charters as well.

A really great place to paddle on the OBX is called New Inlet, a few miles (4?) south of Oregon Inlet. It ain't really an inlet at all, but you will see the launch ramp on your right as you travel south from Oregon Inlet. There is a broken down old bridge to the right of the ramp, that'll tell you you're in the right place. It's a non-motorized boat ramp, too (except for a fe permit holders), so it's nice and quiet.

Fish the bridge pilings for puppy drum and flounder, then paddle all around the grass islands and out into the Pamlico Sound for specks and more flounder/reds. You might find croaker and spanish macks, possibly jack crevalle.

It's a really pretty place with a few sandy pocket beaches for a nice shore lunch, and the fishing was pretty good, expecially around the old bridge.

Have fun!

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com

Out in the ocean there should be some small blues and spainish around. Try around sunrise and sunset for them. There are drum in the sound bigguns and pups, as well as asome torut and flounder. I dotn know much about the sound but I will be learing more this fall smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com