Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rocktrout

Lights and Compass

13 posts in this topic

As I am sure you are all feeling, I am psyched to get out in the kayak again. I am looking to get some navigational lights and a compass to attach to the boat. Any recommendations?

Suunto Orca is standard for compasses. I was just looking at a couple made by Minnkota that were abt 12 bucks in Cabelas that might be worth a try

There are LED running available lights now. I saw 12v for $40 each unit and battery for abt $22 each unit.

I don't know if I will bother with running lights, headlamp and a big mag light have been ok so far.

Maglite is in the bag on the deck. Keep it handy in case I need to club some of those monsters we get into. Air horn is there too. I carry so much crap now it's ridiculous but better safe than sorry.

Only problem with running lights is that boaters would probably assume your in a boat and might not be to careful about there wake.Plus it's just another thing to smash and repair.

I bring a few lights out with me. I have an Aurora headlamp that has 4 settings. 3 are a degree of brightness and the 4th is a very bright flasher. Also a pfd light on a long piece of PVS and put in a rod holder makes a good running light. I also carry a Princeton Blast flashlight around my neck. There are portable bow and stern running lights available too that run on portable batteries. If you have a permanent fish finder setup you can also run permanent lights on the and put an on/off switch where its easy to reach.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I'm busy outfitting for my first year yakfishing. I know I'll be on the water at night and low light conditions and I want to be seen as an obstruction to motorboats. Not flotsam in their wake. I finally found this stern light at Cabela's online for $35. I've been advised that running lights (green, red) are not needed. Scotty light visible for up to 2 Miles - USCG Approved Waterproof and Corrosion resistant. Runs up to 8 hours on 2 AA batteries. Includes 20" pole, and No. 241 combination side/deck and flush mount (same as Scotty rod mounts). Removable light is portable and can easily attach to life jacket. .

No. 824 SEA light Includes No. 244 flush Deck Mount.

No. 825 SEA light Includes suction cup mount and safety leash.

Good Luck.

<http://www.scotty.com/new_images/823-825.jpg> TextText

Ok, so I just finished a safe boating course and the instructor, who is part of the NJ state boating commission said that kayaks are not ALLOWED to have the red/green bow lights, only a 365 degree running light...or a flashlight and must have flares to avoid collisions. Hope this helps!!

I have the red/green bow lights and have been told by other boaters that they are very visible. Available at New York Kayak. Also carry a princeton tech headlamp that I turn on to the strobe setting when another boat approaches . Clipped into the headband facing the stern is another PTec strobe, red, on all the time. Also carry a Ptec led flashlight that I blast at anyone I get the gitters about. So far so good.

Rocktrout,

Nav rules can vary from state to state but if yr NJ instructor was quoting USCG rules of inland navigation I believe he is mistaken, both about the lights and flares.

JimW,

Having little prior knowledge, I am just going on what he and the USCG book said, and when I asked him specifically, he said that R/G nav lights are NOT allowed and that all craft (including PWC's) must have flares. I can send you his email if you would like.

Cheers,

Adam

I've been trying to do some research since Rocktrout's info comes from a reliable source and nobody has any reason to mislead us. I still can't confirm that kayaks should not use running lights and the regs I found seem to state they can. But it sure looks to me that you should have a minimum of three approved flares with you. This is contrary to what I'd been told but kayaks are apparently exempted from this requirement these during DAYLIGHT ONLY so if you are on international waters dusk to dawn you are required to have an approved distress signaling device. There are alternatives to flares but they aren't practical or cheap (SOS light beacon or EPIRB) and strobes are approved ONLY FOR INLAND WATERS. Any water connected to an ocean is considered international water. Flares are a good idea in anycase and if you have a strobe in addition it can't hurt but it doesn't put you in compliance.