Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DANe

Current - How much is too much?

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting a kayak. I haven't paddle in current. How much is too much. I live on LI and plan on fishing in Moriches or Shinnecock bays. I would like to hear from anyone in the LI area, north shore or south. Or the question should be where shouldn't be with a kayak?

Current is usually not a problem. I've paddled upstream on the Susky in PA and only had a problem with heavy current between narrow rocks. As far as tidal current. No problem. I just wouldn't recomend going through an inlet or anything. smile.gif Rivers are a great place to test your ability. If you have to question if an area is safe, then it probably isn't.

Dan, out on the flats there is no problem. Fished there in flats boat and I think the kayak can do a better job of sneaking up on fish plus you can land on the shallow bars that pop up at low tide. As noted the inlet would be tough (especially Shinnecock!). I would think the only thing making sight fishing tough is the line of sight. A Sit On Top (SOT) kayak is going to raise you a higher than a Sit Inside kayak so that is another reason to choose a SOT. I have been using my since the beginning of the year and it is fun. Paddle to a different location, get out and fish no one around...it's great. John and Thersea are out your way talk to them.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 07-15-2002).]

A spot like the Nissequogue river on the outgoing towards the sound isn't a great place to start figuring out how this stuff works. Going up the river isn't bad though. Trying to cross any fast rip will turn you unless you're paying attention.

What Dick said is sound advise. If you have to wonder if it's a good idea it probably isn't.

Dan

Under the Highlands bridge = BAD IDEA. Trust meicon15.gif

In all seriousness, the amount of current you may want to deal with is directly proportional to the type of yak you're running. The right kind of sit in with a spray skirt can be run through class 5 rapids, not a good idea in a SOT rigged for fishing.

I for one am staying FAR away from any kind of fast current. A nice gentle drift is just fine for me!

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

Kayaks will handle some pretty rough water. I personally wouldn't take on Shinnecock but if you took the tide in both directions it is very doable. I'd prefer to launch off the beach. I wish that I had a kayak when I lived in Southampton. There's so much great water to fish there.

the place I'd be hitting are the flats that the boats can't access. there's fish on them thar flats, and as Tim likes to say, unharrassed fishes. I would also hit the ocean though and go out for the pelagics that hang out there a ways.

Lets see south swell running at 5 to 7 feet, the ocean ripping from south to north at 5 to 7 MPH , I think youll see me in da river wink.gif However not under the highlands bridge

Thanks for a lot of good advise. There are a lot of flats I would like to get on where it is too skinny for boats to get into. That is probably where I would start. The inlets are not a good place. water just rips in and out toooooooo fast.