Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EBHarvey

Crazy Idea?

4 posts in this topic

Anyone ever tried using a kite to pull your yak around? I don't mean those huge kiteboarding ones, but just a good-sized toy kite. Seems like it could be fun.

I believe the problem with the kite, is that it is a down wind tool only unless you have some lee boards or the such to allow reaching instead of running. When running, the yak wil eventually go fast enough that the kites relative speed to the wind will/could diminish enough to lack lift and down comes the kite. With a sail or umbrella, the object is fixed to the yak, doesn't require lift to operate, and while the relative speed drops, it continues to provide resistance to the wind and thus propulsion.

If you could angle the yak away from downwind running, the kite should work just fine. I keep a 3ft parafoil on the yak, but haven't really played with it. More interested in a "V" sail to mount on the deck for down wind, or making a small mast and seeing if I can't get a better performing sailing rig. Scott

We have been selling 4 meter training kites from the kitesurfing industry just for use by kayakers or two years now. We have only sold 8 or 10 but in fla and hawaii the kite yaking sport is much further along.We have found that yaks without pronounced keels work best with the kite. If you go to a bigger 10meter or so kite you better be strapped in because your goin airbourne baby.

barrell

barrell